Speckled Sussex Egg Laying

Glimmerofhope

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2021
Hi! I have 7.5 month old Speckled Sussex hen that started laying around 5 months. She was laying about 3-4 eggs a week, and then about a few weeks ago she's stopped laying. She's healthy and active, and when she free ranges the hens are kept on a close watch because we have hawks in the area, so I know she isn't laying out where she forages. Is it something to do with her breed? My other girls (a Buff Orpington and Olivie Egger) started laying around the same time and have been laying almost daily since. Thanks!

my guess would be she's just stopped for winter as heritage breeds such as she (and all mine) typically do. The BO and OE may follow or not - sometimes they lay through their first winter, but if so enjoy, because that's your good luck and likely it won't happen next year :)
Thanks! I live in inland Southern California where we don't really get much of a winter, as it's still in the mid 80s and sunny lately. So if my SS already stopped laying back in September...that seems a bit early for winter?

I read through some of your other posts - you have such a lovely flock? Do you have any adult photos?

Thanks! I live in inland Southern California where we don't really get much of a winter, as it's still in the mid 80s and sunny lately. So if my SS already stopped laying back in September...that seems a bit early for winter?
but the daylength changes I assume? That's what triggers the egg laying cycle.

I live in Southern California also and my girls usually slow down starting in August. It is due to the days getting shorter and also molting. Usually by November they have all stopped laying. I only have one chicken out of 10 laying eggs right now. They usually pick up again starting in January.

My 22 Week old Speck Sussex Pullets are not laying Eggs. Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• 6D5CD0FA-A78D-41F8-B3A9-7F30FBB6489A.jpeg
    6D5CD0FA-A78D-41F8-B3A9-7F30FBB6489A.jpeg
    873.5 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom