Speckled Sussex Roo x Delaware hen

Ridgerunner

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
Does anyone have photos of the female offspring of a Speckled Sussex rooster over a Delaware hen cross, either as chicks or in full adult plumage?

I know these are red sex links, but I also have some chicks that are from a Speckled Sussex rooster over Buff Orpington hens and I want to be able to tell the difference in the female offspring of these two crosses. I know the Speckled Sussex over Buff Orpington are not sex links.

well I don't have pics but this is what you will get
hen-black patterned red columbian Split: pied/mottled
Roo-black patterned yellow/golden columbian Split: pied/mottled

Last edited:
Thanks. This is a photo of some of the chicks on the way from the incubator to the brooder. The father is a Speckled Sussex. The black chicks are out of Austalorp. That is easy. That dark chipmunk you only see part of at the bottom is out of a Speckled Sussex. I think the two red ones at the top are out of Buff Orpington. I think the two yellow ones,one to the right and one to the top left, are the male offspring out of the Delaware and the slightly orangish yellow one to the right above the yellow and black ones is the female out of a Delaware. (Editted to say wrong. All three yellowish chicks were roosters from the Delaware hen. One of the darker red ones was a pullet from the Delaware hen) From Henk's calculator, I thought the Delaware female cross would be a lot darker.

22249_to_brooder.jpg

These two shots are of the Delaware offspring at 19 days. The juvenile plumage of these two is different so I think one is a roo and one is a pullet. I know the silver gene is not supposed to be passed from the Delaware hen to her female offspring, but I can't figure out any other explanation for what I am seeing.

22249_chcik_5b.jpg

22249_chick_4a.jpg

And below is what I think is out of the Buff Orpington.

22249_chick_3a.jpg

The parents are all hatchery birds so there is not telling what recessives are hiding in there.

Last edited:
Most of the breeding stuff is greek to me,I know what im doing just don't ask me to explain hehe....
Thank goodness for Henk's calculator,it has taught me alot.....
I pretty sure the speckling is resesive from the SS,could be some thing from the Delaware...Hm makes you wonder what resesive the hen is hiding....

I agree, Henk's calculator is a lot of fun to play with, very helpful, and can be addicting. It's interpreting the results that is the challenge, espcially with hatchery chickens.

The speckling, mille fleur I believe, is recessive, so I expect the adult plumage to be without a lot of the marking that shows up on the juvenile plumage. To add to the fun, the Delaware hen passes on a barred gen to her male offspring but not her daughters. In the hatch I had two of the bright yellow and two of the orangish yellow, and I can see distinctly different patterns on the feathers of the four chicks that are now yellow. I'm fairly confident in my guesses but time will help tell. The thing that is really confusing me is the yellow color of what I thought were Delaware pullet crosses. I really expected them to be a lot darker red.

There may be some recessives working, or the Delaware hens may not have just silver but also some other gene that makes white. The chicks are probably from two different Delaware hens, though it is possible they all hatched form one hen's eggs. The results look consistent, which I would not expect if it were recessives working, but I don't have enough different chicks to get a real good data base. Again, I think time will help me, but I admit to being less sure now than I was.

This is Very cool. I also have a SS roo over a BO hen that we expect should be hatching in a couple weeks. However, my hunch is that we have not only the SS over the BO, but also over the EE and BA. So, we shall see what sort of chicks we get. Yours are Gorgeous - would you be willing to share any more photos?

Back
Top Bottom