Speckled Sussex Roosters

poultryorganics

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 21, 2012
Hello All, I have a pretty large flock of Speckled Sussex (13 hens and 4 roosters). I rescued them last year from a neighbor and they are proving to be great fun and great layers.

I am currently looking to rehome 2 of our SS roosters (for breeding or pets - NOT meat)... I just don't have enough hens to go around! I've attached a picture of the 2 boys (Roo is on the left, Buck on the right), and can post more upon request - I think they would be good for SS breeding stock as they seems to fit the standard pretty well.

They are 9-months old, both are good with "the girls", not terribly vocal, and VERY tame (they enjoy sitting on my lap for cuddles). I would also be willing to part with 1-2 of my SS hens with each rooster for anyone that is looking to start a flock.

We are located in Kitsap County, but I would be willing to drive a fair distance for right home. Any takers??

Best Regards-

I would love to take them off your hands but I live in Iowa so they would need to be shipped, otherwise I would LOVE to take them. We had a SS hen for a couple years but never knew what she was because mcmurray hatchery will ocassionaly send you and extra bird on purpose as a thank you but we didn't know what she was until a few days ago. We lost her this summer to a coon that was dispatched a few days later while fighing my barred rock rooster. We called her Jungle Chicken due to not knowing her breed but she was the sweetest little thing!

Thanks for the comments! I agree that SS are a great breed.... they are so sweet and VERY curious! They are more like a dog than a bird the way they follow me around the place. They are amazingly tame! Our hens are great layers too... the only time they've stopped laying was for about 2 weeks last fall during their molt. Kitsap County is located just across Puget Sound from Seattle (we're a 30 minute ferry ride away from downtown).

Back
Top Bottom