Speckled Sussex

horseyjess

Songster
14 Years
Sep 2, 2009
SW Florida
Ok so I hatched out some tester eggs in the spring from another member on here
big_smile.png
. This was one of my surprizes and we LOOOOVVVEEEE her!! She is soooo friendly and you can walk up to her hold her etc. WE WANT MORE NOW lol. Just wonder if she is a good example of her breed to use for the girls 4H local show and to possibly breed THANKS!!

40479_pa190433.jpg

40479_pa190440.jpg

40479_pa190442.jpg

40479_pa190441.jpg

A few things that will give us a better idea.
A picture of the front of her while she is standing naturally.
A close up of the side of her head.
A close up of the top of her head.
A picture of her extended wing.
A picture of her from behind.
I know I'm asking a lot already but are you able to weigh her? When did she hatch?
She looks very nice. She doesn't have any pure white tail feathers or primaries that many SS have. That is a major plus for her. She should be good to show next year, but every time she molts she will get more white. If you are going to breed her (which I would) I would use a cockerel with less white and a broader back. From what I see it looks like her back tapers toward her tail which will cause a pinched tail.

I would show her and if you get the chance to talk to the judge, ask what he/she recommends to fix in breeding her.

You could try asking on the Show Quality Speckled Sussex thread too.
Good Luck
Jim

The third photo is mainly what helps, but she's got a seriously full crop. Removing that crop I'd say she looks way too thin and refined though. But it's hard to say. A straight on side profile of her, empty or near empty crop will help. Also a view of her from above, straight down.

A few things that will give us a better idea.
A picture of the front of her while she is standing naturally.
A close up of the side of her head.
A close up of the top of her head.
A picture of her extended wing.
A picture of her from behind.
I know I'm asking a lot already but are you able to weigh her? When did she hatch?
She looks very nice. She doesn't have any pure white tail feathers or primaries that many SS have. That is a major plus for her. She should be good to show next year, but every time she molts she will get more white. If you are going to breed her (which I would) I would use a cockerel with less white and a broader back. From what I see it looks like her back tapers toward her tail which will cause a pinched tail.

I would show her and if you get the chance to talk to the judge, ask what he/she recommends to fix in breeding her.

Will try to get those pictures lol. She is actually couped up so doesnt get out often/ ever
sad.png
. So when she is out she just wants to go go go. I havent weighed her she is pretty light yet. It seems my chickens that arent freeranged are all on the lighter side
sad.png
. She hatched in the very end of April so isnt quite 6 mos old yet. Yeah no white primaries or tail feathers yet. That is the one thing that I learned was a plus for her.

The third photo is mainly what helps, but she's got a seriously full crop. Removing that crop I'd say she looks way too thin and refined though. But it's hard to say. A straight on side profile of her, empty or near empty crop will help. Also a view of her from above, straight down

She is pretty thin but I think that is our fault. She isnt free ranged at ALL. I have one cage of freerange chickens that we get our eggs from. Then we have 4 enclosed pens and we dont let them out with the freerange cause well the freerange from time to time become lunch annnnd the hens are not so nice to newbies so they get beat up some. I was going to let her out with the girls but think she is too sweet and possibly wanting to let the girls show her she would not be so pretty in a few days. The Gunieas are very mean to newbies!!

Back
Top Bottom