Speckledhen...Domino Final update Pg 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the evening report on my precious girl.

Today, it was beautiful outside, so I took her, her waterer and her soupy food outside. I sat her on the ground on the warm sun on her blankie and she drank water when we she wanted it and drank her food some too. she got up and walked a little ways and then had to sit down again. When it started getting to warm, I put her on the step and she napped in the cool breeze and loved it.

As you can see from the line in the bowl, she got down a good amount of her soupy food.
smile.png
I am so proud of her. I keep telling her not to give up on me and I won't give up on her...

Domino327094.jpg

This evening, she drank down more food and water on her own...

domino32709.jpg

Domino327092.jpg

She is still weak but she is doing much better. I am sure the lack of normal amount of food has her a bit weak too but she is staying hydrated and getting a decent amount of food down. i will try a little solid food in the morning for her breakfast. she only did the neck thing a couple of times all day, so it looks like that is stopping. so I am hopeful.

So, we are still in the woods but the field is coming closer I think.
big_smile.png
thanks ladies for sending the well wishes and prayers. We are keeping at it. I did stop the oil tonight and I am not going to wake her during the night tonight.

She has not laid so I am hoping having her in the dark and her not feeling well is the cause. *crossing fingers* it has not been 2 full days since she last laid so I am not getting too worried about that yet. One day at a time right now.

I will update again.

Last edited:
So she choked? For future reference...

massage her throat hard to push anything down or up, your choice.

Or, Chicken Heimlich. Support her breast with one hand, and her neck with the other. Fling her between your legs. The centrifugal force will cause everything to come up. Be prepared to do it again if she aspirates in the process.

Try giving her Isoxyprin. It will dilate the blood vessels to allow more oxygen in. Your vet should have some.

Good luck!

MoodyChicken we are not sure but that is all we could come up with here. I have wormed her so I will be watching her poo for any signs of worms. But the way she was acting, it was like something was stuck in her throat. She is drinking now and drinking her food, so tomorrow I will try soft solids again.

I did try massaging her throat and fed her vegetable oil as well. I have been continuing that every hour - two hours throughout the night last night and the day today.
smile.png

Last edited:
Cetawin - thanks for posting this update. I'm glad to see that your beautiful little BR is doing better.

Hang in there, Domino... your fmaily needs you!

hehehe she says your apology is accepted.
lol.png
I do not either except the comb and half the time I forget that.

I love my animals...all of them. Whether I paid 2.00 for them or 2,000.00. My husband thought I was crazy to have a 3.00 pet rat neutered...he thought I had lost it for sure when I paid 80.00 to have it done.
gig.gif
He actually tried to "reason" with me over it. He made a good argument of Dear the rat will live 2 maybe three years, can be replaced for 4.00 including the gas to go to the breeder's house and it just not financially worth it. I smiled and said...those two pet rats can make on avergage 12 babies....about once a month
big_smile.png
His argument ceased at that moment.

She is more alert this morning, her poo is still lose but she is also not eating solids yet, so I am watching it. She does not have diarreha so I am not too concerned with that right now.

I will keep up monitoring her and cut back on the amount of oil she gets throughout the day...but as long as she does the neck stretching thing even once, I am going to keep it up.

Hopefully, she will bounce back from this...I just hope there is nothing more serious going on.

CYN... will the stress of all this plus being in the dark keep her from laying? How long is acceptable for her not to lay? When should I consider there being a problem with the laying thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom