Speeding ticket...need advice

chicks4kids

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Northern Indiana
I got a speeding ticket the other day. I was going 30 in a 25--school zone....I know I was going 30. I have a radar detector and it didn't go off...He was oncoming to me when he pulled into someone's driveway to turn around to be able to pull me over. He pulled me over, said I was doing a 37 in a 25. Came back, handed me the ticket--the ticket said 36 in a 25-not what he said originally (originally he said 37 in a 25). He then said "Why are you so upset?" And I said " I was going 30" He said "Even if you were, you were still speeding". So I called to see what the fine was. $136.50. So now I want to fight this. Any suggestions as to how to go about this. I know for a fact that I was going 30--I always go 30 there. I know for a fact that he wasn't radaring me (due to my radar detector). And he told me one thing and fined me another....I need some suggestions because I'm leaning toward fighting this. I have a perfect record and am not willing to settle for a 37 in a 25....suggestions??

In our state, they have to write down what device they used to measure your speed. What did he put down?

The only thing you can do is go to court on your court day and plead not guilty and explain your side. The judge might toss it out, you never know.

Fight it, he has to document what type of detection device he used.

Are radar detectors Legal in your state.

Dont mention that you always do 30 in the 25 zone when asked.

Often if you have a clean record a judge can give PBJ(probation before judgement) which keeps your record clean provided you get no additional tickets in next 24-36 months. This often still comes with a fine, and court costs, but does keep points/infraction off of your license.vv

A lot of times if you just show in in court, the police officer that issued the ticket won't. Then the judge will dismiss the ticket.

However, I do remember hearing something about how they cannot write down an exact speed if they did not get one off of a radar or something similar. I forget exactly what it was I heard though, so I don't want to give false information. I think it had something to do with having a reference point, such as another car or themselves, in which case they could say "Person was speeding past all of the other cars on the high way" or "Person was going x miles above my speed limit of x in a 25 mile per hour zone". I don't know if that makes sense LOL

I think you should just show up to court and tell them what was said here. Although, they still might say you were speeding in a 25 mile zone, so you'll have to be careful how you word your defense. However, if the police officer did not document correctly then you have a pretty good chance of getting out of the ticket.

One thing I cannot stand in any job is laziness or sloppiness. I fought a parking ticket through my school once because the officer who wrote it did an incredibly sloppy job. I won and did not have to pay the fine. The car they had written down on the ticket was nothing like my car even looked! Also the date the ticket was given was wrong. How could I receive a ticket ten days before the day even occurred! Ugh!

Anyways, don't always count on your radar detector either. A lot of police forces are switching to lasers and other more high tech equipment that cannot be picked up by most common radar detectors. Some of the newer ones CAN pick up the laser and other signals. You'll just have to read up on which one you have.

Good luck! I hope you can win in court!

Looking over the ticket, it lists NO SPECIFIC DEVICE that he used. When I told him that I was doing a 30 in 25, he told me he " double checked it and his unit is certified". He didn't sign my ticket.

I believe that it IS illegal to have a radar detector in my state. So I def. can't say that in my defense in front of the judge. My point is, even though I had it...it didn't go off. I KNOW he wasn't radaring me.
barnie.gif
If I could pull my hair out I would...I'm so angry over this! Simply because I know he's lying about it. $136.50...come on!!! He looked to be soooo young...I hope he wasn't just pulling people over just to make a point....my daughter who rides the bus and was in front of the high school (where I was pulled over at) said she saw someone pulled over in front of the school -(not me). That was before I told her I was pulled over as well. It seems like it may have just been a "free for all" day....IDK.

Not gonna get into it, except to point out one thing.
Not all radar detectors will pick up li-dar or laser radars.

Last edited:
Gritsar beat me to it. Most radar detectors won't pick up the new laser devices. The laws on speeding and tickets vary wildly from state to state. Any advice on our part is going to be based upon our own states. You're better off getting advice from a local attorney or simply googling the information for yourself. Every state has their laws online now.

Fight it! My brother gets tickets all the time and fights them. They drop the points sometimes and other times lower the charges and price of the fine.

I don't know about this but I have been told that you have a right to request to see the device he used to record your speed at the time of the ticket.

Even though you didn't ask to see his radar device with the incorrect speed I would contest the ticket on the incorrect marking of the device used.

If no specific device was used how could it be certified?

Ask to see the certification.

Ask him why he didn't list it on the ticket.

Ask him if he has a history of being dishonest, disingenuous, inaccurate....

What do you have to lose?

Well one more thing that I have heard in the past. Ask the judge when the radar was last calibrated. Most judges won't have any idea and the officer may not either. In such case a good judge will dissmiss.

And one more thing YOU WERE SPEEDING IN A SCHOOL ZONE????

Back
Top Bottom