Speedy advice needed- new chicken with foamy eye

Laver2k

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 12, 2013
Hi there,
We just bought an orpington from a poultry farm (chickens were free ranging and seemed healthy and happy).
However, we got her home and noticed that the bottom of one eye was slightly foamy.

So, we decided that we better not mix her in with our flock of 2 tonight. We called the farm who said it was probably a cold and if we returned her, they would give her medicine for a few days.

I'm feeling really torn. Orpingtons are pretty rare and really hard to come by here. The farm seemed really surprised and happy for us to bring her back so they could sort her out. On the other hand, it doesnt seem great that they sold us a hen that wasn't 100% to begin with.

What would you do? Let them cure her and then take her back? Get a refund?

She doesnt have any other symptoms and seems happy....But if it could be myco then we really dont want to mix her with our flock!

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Disease alert here! If they told you she had a cold, this means that they have seen it before. Chickens do not get colds--they get respiratory diseases such as MG (CRD) and coryza, and you do not want these chickens. Foamy eye is the beginning of MG. Take them all back, and don't ask for the money back because it will save you money on medications. Disinfect your cages and premises, wait a couple of weeks, and try again with healthy birds. Here is some reading: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Eggcessive - thanks so much.

It makes me really angry that the farmer tried to tell me that she just had a cold. Its just one orpington and we kept her separate from our flock. We will keep her in a cage indoors overnight and return her.

I'm so disappointed, she is so pretty and friendly. Its not worth making my others ill though,

Back
Top Bottom