Spiced jasmine rice

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
I made spiced pork chops from the most recent Cooking Light magazine for dinner last night: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1924701. I quadrupled the recipe and threw it with chops into a baggie, then grilled them up - delicious!

But what to make as a side... hrm. Here's what I made, and it was delicious. My pea-hating hubbie even ate it w/o one mention of the peas, too!

Amounts are all approximate - use what you have on hand, eyeball amounts, and substitute freely!

2 T olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 c slivered almonds
1/4 c golden raisins
2 1/2 c turkey stock
1/4 lemon, diced, with skin & pith & all (remove seeds)
1/8 t ground cloves
1/8 t cinnamon
1/4 cardamon
1/2 t kosher salt
1/8 pepper
1.25 c jasmine rice, rinsed & drained
1 c frozen peas

1. Saute onion, pepper, almonds, and raisins over med-high heat in oil until onions are transluscent.
2. Add turkey stock & bring to a boil.
3. Add rice, spices, lemon, salt & pepper, cover & simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. At 10 minute mark, stir in frozen peas, recover, and finish cooking.

This was probably the yummiest weeknight side dish I've ever made, and it's SUPER fast - ready in 30 minutes and only took about 5 mins of active attention.

It's really easy to substitute in other spices, different nuts, & various dried fruits for new flavor profiles. Try:
* pecans, dried cranberries, oranges, oregano
* yellow peppers, macadamia nuts, dried apricots, limes,
* pine nuts, lemons, omit dried fruit, basil
* oh oh oh pinenuts, dried figs, chopped pancetta/proscuitto instead of a dried fruit, and omit spices/salt (OMG that sounds yummy)

I'm getting hungry.

We buy Jasmine rice in 25 lb. bags from an Asian market. There is just my wife and I so you can imagine how much rice we go through. The best way I have found to prepare it is simple. Mix 1 cup of rice with 2 cups of water(combine rice,salt, water, and butter while cold before applying heat) and add salt to taste. Add 2 tbs. of butter and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to minimun possible and cook for 20 minutes. Do not rinse rice. Jasmine rice has a very pleasant almond smell while cooking and tastes great! I use it in all my asian dishes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom