Spiced jasmine rice

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by JennsPeeps, Sep 30, 2009.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I made spiced pork chops from the most recent Cooking Light magazine for dinner last night: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1924701. I quadrupled the recipe and threw it with chops into a baggie, then grilled them up - delicious!

But what to make as a side... hrm. Here's what I made, and it was delicious. My pea-hating hubbie even ate it w/o one mention of the peas, too!

Amounts are all approximate - use what you have on hand, eyeball amounts, and substitute freely!

2 T olive oil
    1/2 onion, diced
    1 red bell pepper, diced
    1/4 c slivered almonds
    1/4 c golden raisins
    2 1/2 c turkey stock
    1/4 lemon, diced, with skin & pith & all (remove seeds)
    1/8 t ground cloves
    1/8 t cinnamon
    1/4 cardamon
    1/2 t kosher salt
    1/8 pepper
    1.25 c jasmine rice, rinsed & drained
    1 c frozen peas

1. Saute onion, pepper, almonds, and raisins over med-high heat in oil until onions are transluscent.
    2. Add turkey stock & bring to a boil.
    3. Add rice, spices, lemon, salt & pepper, cover & simmer for about 10 minutes.
    4. At 10 minute mark, stir in frozen peas, recover, and finish cooking.

This was probably the yummiest weeknight side dish I've ever made, and it's SUPER fast - ready in 30 minutes and only took about 5 mins of active attention.

It's really easy to substitute in other spices, different nuts, & various dried fruits for new flavor profiles. Try:
    * pecans, dried cranberries, oranges, oregano
    * yellow peppers, macadamia nuts, dried apricots, limes,
    * pine nuts, lemons, omit dried fruit, basil
    * oh oh oh pinenuts, dried figs, chopped pancetta/proscuitto instead of a dried fruit, and omit spices/salt (OMG that sounds yummy)

I'm getting hungry.

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    What is jasmine rice?

3. TifsBroodyBabes

TifsBroodyBabes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Everett, Wa.
    Yum, it sounds good....

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:never had it--but I did see a box of uncle ben's when I was at the store trying to find the garlic rice...they had "jasmine" but not the garlic! Go figure!

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Uncle Ben's has jasmine rice? Whoda thunk it?

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
  7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    and once you use it and smell it cooking in your house you will find it hard to cook with any other again!

8. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Best rice on the market.

9. Ken H

Ken H Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    We buy Jasmine rice in 25 lb. bags from an Asian market. There is just my wife and I so you can imagine how much rice we go through. The best way I have found to prepare it is simple. Mix 1 cup of rice with 2 cups of water(combine rice,salt, water, and butter while cold before applying heat) and add salt to taste. Add 2 tbs. of butter and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to minimun possible and cook for 20 minutes. Do not rinse rice. Jasmine rice has a very pleasant almond smell while cooking and tastes great! I use it in all my asian dishes.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by