Spirit - the amazing grey dewlap toulouse gander!

We have returned from the vet! Spirit was a champ as usual. We were able to remove the upper rod without any sedation and Spirit already appears more comfortable moving around in his room. However, the vet was clear that he is to be inside 24/7 for the next 7-10 days to make sure he does not overly stress the newly fused bone. We return in 3 weeks to remove the lower rod and then voila, it will be done! The rest will be up to Spirit, time and good fortune. I am also pleased that he showed a slight weight gain after losing so much weight post surgery. Hope to see a bigger gain the next time we go, as the vet said we can pump him up with unlimited grain now.

On the way home, I dropped hubby off at work (petco) and it was interesting to see the reactions I got. The 1st person thought it was SO COOL and excitedly asked to take a picture of my duck. The next person looked shocked that I had "real live turkey" in my arms. Most, however, were smart enough to know it is a goose. But then everyone was afraid to touch him, fearing he will bite them, even though Spirit was being perfectly calm and friendly.

It was an experience.
celebrate.gif
go Spirit! How many different animals did you take with you?
gig.gif

Now since J dropped her dh off at work that means Spirit must have rode shot gun on the way to the house, i bet folks driving by thought they were seeing things when they saw a goose sitting in the front seat.

J, I am so pleased to her Spirit has the upper rod and pins out. Now it is time to build up the bone with calcium.
Did you know that geese love nuts? I buy a mixture from Walmart that is nothing but shelled peanuts, sunflower seed, pastcio nuts and I can remember what else. It is called Deck patio and porch mix. My sebbies just love it. They go to their bowls and gobble the nuts first. I have one female Sarina a white girl that will push everyone out of the way to gobble up the nuts!!!
She starts laying eggs in November her clock is off.... So I have to give her extra calcium for her bones that is why I know there is calcium in the nuts. It also says so on the package.
thumbsup.gif

We have returned from the vet! Spirit was a champ as usual. We were able to remove the upper rod without any sedation and Spirit already appears more comfortable moving around in his room. However, the vet was clear that he is to be inside 24/7 for the next 7-10 days to make sure he does not overly stress the newly fused bone. We return in 3 weeks to remove the lower rod and then voila, it will be done! The rest will be up to Spirit, time and good fortune. I am also pleased that he showed a slight weight gain after losing so much weight post surgery. Hope to see a bigger gain the next time we go, as the vet said we can pump him up with unlimited grain now.

On the way home, I dropped hubby off at work (petco) and it was interesting to see the reactions I got. The 1st person thought it was SO COOL and excitedly asked to take a picture of my duck. The next person looked shocked that I had "real live turkey" in my arms. Most, however, were smart enough to know it is a goose. But then everyone was afraid to touch him, fearing he will bite them, even though Spirit was being perfectly calm and friendly.

It was an experience.
lau.gif
Gonna give the poor boy a personality disorder! Good thing he doesn't understand English fully. LOL

Very happy to hear how things are going for Spirit. Almost time for a child seet for him, eh???

Funny stuff!! I am so happy to report that Spirit is doing great since having rod removed. It is obvious that the rod was bothering him and he feels a major relief with it gone. He has been happily cruising around his room ever since we returned home.
ya.gif

Funny stuff!!  I am so happy to report that Spirit is doing great since having rod removed.  It is obvious that the rod was bothering him and he feels a major relief with it gone.  He has been happily cruising around his room ever since we returned home.  :ya

WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! I just know that he will make a complete recovery. Is he walking on the leg yet instead of using his wing?:celebrate

Back
Top Bottom