Spitting up water, a little disoriented

hrmalexandra

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
1) RIR hen, 3 years old, normal weight (I think)
2) Last night she did not go up and perch, this afternoon she was a little disoriented outside and when I picked her up, a lot of water came out of her beak. After that she kept her beak open for a while. She did not fight too much when I picked her up, which is really odd.
3) 24 hours
4) 2 other hens, seem to be fine
5) Her comb has gone a little purple-ish on the edges
6) i can't think of any major changes or traumas.
7) Normal diet of layer pellets, oyster, and grit along with backyard foraging
8) Runny poop, a little yellow-ish
9) I brought her inside for more crop massage and to warm up , and to keep her away from the other girls. I made some bread crumbles soaked in olive oil and milk but she does not seem interested. She has closed her beak.
10 ) I would prefer to treat myself, I don't know when I can get to a vet.

12) They live in a stationary coop with straw below.

After reading about possible problems, I looked down her throat for worms (did not see) and massaged her crop. It felt very squishy, like a water balloon. Now it feels a bit more normal, I think. I listened to her chest, no rattles. I smelled her breath, it smells a little chicken-y, but not sour, or yeasty, or foul.

Any ideas?

When a hen doesn't roost she is very ill. You did right to Isolate her. Was it clear water coming out, or something else? Advanced cases of peritonitis can cause infected fluid build-up in the body cavity, which can eventually come out the mouth. Also, there's something called "ascites" which is basically fluid in the body cavity (not as infected and smelly) that can come out the mouth. In both cases there is no recovery - although a hen can live with ascites for quite awhile. So, a vet visit would be expensive and not useful. If she starts eating again, then it's something else (perhaps sour crop) ... but if she doesn't, you might want to read my post about making end of life decisions.
http://www.hencam.com/henblog/2011/09/end-of-life-decisions/

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I've seen such cases.

It was clear water, and I was able to encourage her to eat and drink last night. She seems a little peppier today, but if you think she should stay separated then I will do that. Also, her crop does not feel full after her little snack last night, but I am not experienced in checking it.

She is much better today after work! She ate and drank while I was gone, and was talking when I got back. I put her out in the yard and she let out a huge poop -runny, brown with white stringy stuff and evidence of this morning's breakfast. She has energy and awareness. I will see if she roosts or not tonight and bring her back in if she can't - unless anyone thinks she should still be separated?

Thanks!

Awesome, that's what we did. Today she still looks good, I managed to wrestle her long enough to do a breath sniff - no sour or foul odor. I'm going to keep with soft food for a bit, plus being better about ACV and yogurt treats.

UPDATE: She seemed fine for about 4 or 5 days but then started a major molt and green poop. Her energy level is normal. Should I be worried?

Back
Top Bottom