Spitzhaubens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Andora, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Faraday40

Faraday40 Free Ranging

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Those are beautiful spitzes. I hope your eggs hatch.

We have 6 Spitz chicks at the moment + a lot more. They are from DS's 4H poultry science project. My best broody adopted all the chicks and is taking good care of them until they get their new homes.

We now have 6 spitzes, 2 orps, 4 seramas, and 3 turkey poults. (Already sold 11 Leghorns, 3 spitzes, 2 seramas, and 5 orps.)
    IMG_7005.JPG IMG_7018.JPG

homeschoolin momma and SueT like this.
  2. homeschoolin momma

homeschoolin momma Songster

Jun 28, 2017
    Illinois
    @Faraday40 I know its a little too soon to tell for sure, but it seems that some of them have their daddy's pretty mohawk!:love

3. Faraday40

Faraday40 Free Ranging

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Yes. Most do have a nice sharp mohawk.

4. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    My little Sebright hen Moonshine, sitting on 4 Spitzhauben eggs, just hatched #1!
    baby3.jpg

Faraday40 and ketojenn like this.
  5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Great job!

:clap

6. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    This morning, 3 Spitz babies so far. Last egg will be a day behind. I put a dish of mash in there that Moonshine can reach without getting off the egg. She is showing the bitties the food...
    1 of 3 bittirs.jpg
    3 bittirs.jpg

ketojenn and Faraday40 like this.
  7. Faraday40

Faraday40 Free Ranging

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Such a good mama. I know our Sebright, Trouble, is a very fierce & determined mama. Nothing can stop her from setting, and she mothers her chicks for 7-8 weeks. It doesn't change when they're 2xs her size by 3 weeks. They remain her "babies." I'm guessing Moonshine will be the same way.

The only issue you may have is that Sebrights & Spitzes can fly well (for chickens). Mama may teach her babies how to hop the fence for some adventures.

SueT likes this.
  8. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    well, at first, they will have a part of the run all to themselves, which is covered w bird netting. But I have been letting everyone free range most days, so she can take them out with her after they are integrated w flock. However, I wasn't planning to keep them. The woman who bought their parents would like to have them. We'll see how that goes. I'd rather not deal with cockerels, and could sell them before we know who's what.
    Here is Mama showing babies the food. She has rolled the unhatched egg closer to feeder so she can keep setting on it. She's a multitasking mama!
    bitties eating w mama.jpg

ketojenn, Finnie and Alaskan like this.
  9. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Very nice mana!

10. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    So, with Moonshine and the Spitz chicks, egg #4 was started 1 1/2 days behind. Yesterday, I discovered mites in the little nest box they had been confined to. Mama was standing, trying to avoid the bugs. So I quickly moved them to their pen in the coop, egg and all. Mama abandoned the egg and stayed w the chicks. I brought the egg in the house and improvised a makeshift hatcher with a heating pad. The egg hatched this morning! So now I have this little orphan,
    #4 later.jpg and want to introduce it to mama after it gets active, hopefully today. The 3 other chicks are now 2 days old. @Faraday40 (and anyone else) any thoughts on how this might work out? Thanks!
    btw I got permethrin poultry powder and treated mama hen and the coop, nest boxes after completely sweeping it out. Fingers crossed on that.

ketojenn likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: