Spitzhaubens

Day 5---I candled eggs this morning! DH says he will set up tripod and good camera next time, but I used my point and shoot camera, and here's a blurry pic of a Spitz egg.
candling day 5.jpg One white egg had no development at all, and I think it might be a leghorn egg, looking at the shape now that it's out. The others are all like the above.
The Sebright eggs are quite a bit harder to see in, but at least 5 of 7 have veins and embryo showing. I'm not sure what I'm seeing in the other 2. I'll try to get pics in a couple of days.
How often do you candle? Is it harmful for the embryos?

Day 5---I candled eggs this morning! DH says he will set up tripod and good camera next time, but I used my point and shoot camera, and here's a blurry pic of a Spitz egg.
View attachment 2097090One white egg had no development at all, and I think it might be a leghorn egg, looking at the shape now that it's out. The others are all like the above.
The Sebright eggs are quite a bit harder to see in, but at least 5 of 7 have veins and embryo showing. I'm not sure what I'm seeing in the other 2. I'll try to get pics in a couple of days.
How often do you candle? Is it harmful for the embryos?
As long as you don't drop the eggs while you candle :rolleyes: (which yes, I have done) it is fine until close to hatch.

Here's why I get leghorn eggs confused w Spitzhauben...
2 in 1.jpg

I'm guessing the Spitzhauben egg is on the right:
IMG_20200420_094841_kindlephoto-526244523.jpg

Last edited:
In my Sebright eggs, it looks like 5 out of the 7 are developing, 2 quit. Assuming I get some chicks from them, what should I call the Spitzhauben-Sebright mix? I need a short catchy name....Spitzbrights maybe? Sehaubens? Any other ideas?
Oh, how about Sprites?

In my Sebright eggs, it looks like 5 out of the 7 are developing, 2 quit. Assuming I get some chicks from them, what should I call the Spitzhauben-Sebright mix? I need a short catchy name....Spitzbrights maybe? Sehaubens? Any other ideas?
Oh, how about Sprites?
I like all those names!

Back
Top Bottom