Spitzhaubens

In my Sebright eggs, it looks like 5 out of the 7 are developing, 2 quit. Assuming I get some chicks from them, what should I call the Spitzhauben-Sebright mix? I need a short catchy name....Spitzbrights maybe? Sehaubens? Any other ideas?
Oh, how about Sprites?
All are good. I'd spell the name = Spright (for SPitzhauben sebRIGHT)
I think that's my fav one.

It just sounds better than: Spit-right LOL

All are good. I'd spell the name = Spright (for SPitzhauben sebRIGHT)
I think that's my fav one.

It just sounds better than: Spit-right LOL
OK Spright it is! Short and simple. I am really looking forward to seeing what they are like, so fingers crossed some of them make it. As one of you mentioned, a bantam hen may not let a LF rooster mate again, so this may be our only shot. When I candle the eggs, the embryos are swimming around in there. I've never incubated eggs before, so am really enjoying it during this time of enforced isolation. We all need things to look forward to.
Day 7, I have 4 Spitzhauben and 5 Sebright eggs alive. Moonshine is not yet broody, but I am putting aside eggs for her when she's ready. She's my only candidate, unless one of the big girls decides to surprise me. A big hen could cover a lot more eggs, but I'm not holding my breath.

I have a few orps that go broody. My biggest 10lb hen is one of them! The only problem with using a LF hen is that they are clumsy and may squish a chick or crack eggs when getting in/out of the nest.

Looks like I lost a spitz last night. Banshee never came home. She was the surviving pullet along with Jack from last year. Just 4 spitz girls left. Need some of these little ones to hurry and grow up!

Looks like I lost a spitz last night. Banshee never came home. She was the surviving pullet along with Jack from last year. Just 4 spitz girls left. Need some of these little ones to hurry and grow up!
Did Banshee return? Poor girl. I'm surprised her ruckus didn't work in her favor. Must have been a sneak attack.

Moonshine is broody! I let her sit on nest all night to make sure. This morning, I reached under her, pulled out the fake egg and I placed 5 eggs beside her: 2 Spitz, and 3 Sprights. She carefully rolled them under her and settled down. She'll be 8 days behind the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom