Spitzhaubens

Curious about colors on this one. If I have for exanple, a chamois (I think they're called this, they're the light buff looking color) and a silver that breed together, will I get seperate colors or will they blend together to something else?

@Faraday40 and I see teeny wattles just starting to show so we are leaning towards male. Another week will be more clear. Post another picture then.
Thank you, oh, I hope not! She(he) is my true pet. That might mean our 4 hatched babies are all roos. The other chickies that we got at 3weeks are still terrified of us. They are not interested in being pets. :( Bummer!

Curious about colors on this one. If I have for exanple, a chamois (I think they're called this, they're the light buff looking color) and a silver that breed together, will I get seperate colors or will they blend together to something else?
I am blanking on the exact genetics when you combine those 2... except I am pretty sure the Chamois color will get washed out.

I've tried genetic calculators and they never male any sense to me
I don’t know anything about chamois color genetics, but I would guess it is gold-based. Silver and gold are sex linked, with silver being mostly dominant to gold. So then it will depend on which parent is the silver and which is the gold. Either way, the sons will all be silver split to gold, and they will be mostly silver with some gold leakage. Then the daughters will all be whatever the father is, either gold or silver. So if you use a chamois father, the chicks should all be sexable at hatch. But if you use a silver father over a chamois mother, then the chicks should all hatch as silvers, and it would take a great eye to tell if there is gold leakage in the chick down. That would show up later. And then I’m not sure if chamois has Buff or dominant white or whatever and how those would affect the outcome. I would assume the Spangling genes would all still be correct though, even if there was dominant white blotting them out.

16 weeks
Nadine and a Spright sister say hello to papa thru the fencing:
meeting papa 8-28.jpg
Margarita of the crazy crest----if you can see, it flops down on her right side, and it actually obscures her vision. Should I trim it?
Margarita 8-28.jpg
Little Maz, one of the Sprights (Spitz-Sebright blend)
Little Maz 8-28.jpg

Back
Top Bottom