Spitzhaubens

We have had a few hawk attempts lately. Back in Jan or Feb, one of our Spitz hens was killed by a hawk---so we stopped free ranging at that point. The flock stayed confined until last week while we were replacing part of the run. All the elder flock members got to free range. They were so happy, I decided to let them out every day, but on day 5, there was a hawk incident. No one was hurt, but now they are all locked in the run 24/7 for the foreseeable future. 3 times, we have seen a hawk scoping out the run, and all the chickens freaked out each time. I put up a decoy owl and a homemade scarecrow yesterday.....I make simple scarecrows with clothing pinned on a coathanger and a makeshift head; this one doubles as Halloween decor. The scarecrows get moved around, and blow in the wind. I don't know if it will help or not.
View attachment 2337512
As long as it doesn't scare your hens, it certainly won't hurt. Bonus: Your neighbors may think you're crazy. LOL :p

Bonus: Your neighbors may think you're crazy. LOL :p
Many of our neighbors are Amish....we're definitely in the crazy category. (I tried to hang it where they can't see it when they pass by so they don't think we're also devil worshippers....)

So one of you mentioned that my Spitz pullet w the crazy crest looked like Cruella Deville--so that's what I dressed her as for the BYC HAL critter costume contest....I hope you all join this and the other fall contests as well! I know that @Faraday40 takes great photos so I challenge you (and the others) to join...I bet your kids would come up with some great ideas.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...alloween-hal-critter-costume-contest.1421343/
Margarita is such a good sport for these things....
Cruella Deville4.jpg
btw, some of the Spright pullets are laying now. 5 months old.....

This has been a horrible week for me. Last night i ushered the spitzies to bed and found a stockpile of eggs from one of their favorite spots. In my hurry and shock of so many eggs, i forgot to latch the door close. My beautiful, perfect crested, wonderful broody "mama" was killed. I'm beyond crushed.

This has been a horrible week for me. Last night i ushered the spitzies to bed and found a stockpile of eggs from one of their favorite spots. In my hurry and shock of so many eggs, i forgot to latch the door close. My beautiful, perfect crested, wonderful broody "mama" was killed. I'm beyond crushed.
oh no.........so sad to hear this. :hugs
are the others okay?

So sorry. What a horrible find this morning. Your Spitzes are taking a beating this year.

I too had a loss today. Smudge (an obese 11 lb orp) died of heart failure this afternoon. Although not a surprise, I'm sad.

very sad news..... :hugs to you both.

On a cheerful note. Cute outfit @SueT

And, my 8 spitz chicks are starting to grow in their crests, and have enough feathers in that I can tell of the 7 Chamois, one is WAY too light, one is almost as light, the other 5 look to have good color, ranging from medium to a nice dark Chamois.

20201009_180717.jpg
20201009_180439.jpg

Back
Top Bottom