Spitzhaubens

Welp, only ended up having one spitzegg make it. The other one had a crack somehow and didn't survive. But I know tlwho the dad is now. No way not to with those little muffs XD. However, no crest. Maybe there will just be a tiny one like legbars get later on. They have the cutest little white spit on their face though.
20200914_185327.jpg

Welp, only ended up having one spitzegg make it. The other one had a crack somehow and didn't survive. But I know tlwho the dad is now. No way not to with those little muffs XD. However, no crest. Maybe there will just be a tiny one like legbars get later on. They have the cutest little white spit on their face though.
View attachment 2334537
Cute chick.

It will likely have a little crest. I believe the crests develop later. ( Even pure spitz don't have a crest at hatch.) If female, I hope you get some colored eggs.

Cute chick.

It will likely have a little crest. I believe the crests develop later. ( Even pure spitz don't have a crest at hatch.) If female, I hope you get some colored eggs.
No colored eggs. The dad doesn't carry the gene so odds are a creamy brown or white egg. But a crest would be cute. Don't really care what gender (obviously prefer one over the other but it's staying o matter what) but i hope maybe it doesn't stay just black? 😅

All I know is when I got my gals, they had crests and down at the same time. Not sure how old they were though

Sad news to report tonight. After 3 years of owning possibly one of the best and most gentlemanly roosters on earth, our beloved Jake turned up missing tonight. In 3 years, he has never missed bedtime or abandoned his girls. I can hope he's hunkered down somewhere, perhaps with the black easter egger that came up missing 2 nights ago. But in all honesty, i dont think he will. I still have his two sons which are quite handsome, but no one can replace my Jakey. First my alpha orp and now my alpha spitz. This hasnt been the greatest year.

Sad news to report tonight. After 3 years of owning possibly one of the best and most gentlemanly roosters on earth, our beloved Jake turned up missing tonight. In 3 years, he has never missed bedtime or abandoned his girls. I can hope he's hunkered down somewhere, perhaps with the black easter egger that came up missing 2 nights ago. But in all honesty, i dont think he will. I still have his two sons which are quite handsome, but no one can replace my Jakey. First my alpha orp and now my alpha spitz. This hasnt been the greatest year.
:(

:hugs

There's always hope. I've had hens go missing and occasionally the male for a day as well, apparently they don't trust me around their nests anymore. Can't blame them

We were all sad to hear the news last night. I hope he's just hiding for the night.

We have had a few hawk attempts lately. Back in Jan or Feb, one of our Spitz hens was killed by a hawk---so we stopped free ranging at that point. The flock stayed confined until last week while we were replacing part of the run. All the elder flock members got to free range. They were so happy, I decided to let them out every day, but on day 5, there was a hawk incident. No one was hurt, but now they are all locked in the run 24/7 for the foreseeable future. 3 times, we have seen a hawk scoping out the run, and all the chickens freaked out each time. I put up a decoy owl and a homemade scarecrow yesterday.....I make simple scarecrows with clothing pinned on a coathanger and a makeshift head; this one doubles as Halloween decor. The scarecrows get moved around, and blow in the wind. I don't know if it will help or not.
hawk deterents.jpg

Back
Top Bottom