Spitzhaubens

Pics
Keep us updated as what ya get!

congrats :jumpy :jumpy
Both Spitzes are out of their shells! .... and some of the orps are also hatching. I guess the hatch is just a day early. Both look like the typical silver type and I'm not seeing any orp traits.

I was wondering if these 1st eggs would have orp fathers since Poof Poof was free ranging with them a few days before her boyfriend arrived. Of course, Poof Poof's eggs have never hatched and rarely have the fertile bull's eye, because she doesn't care for my orp boys. Anyway, i couldn't be happier.
:love

Here's the 1st one this morning after drying out.
IMG_0730 - Copy.JPG

Both Spitzes are out of their shells! .... and some of the orps are also hatching. I guess the hatch is just a day early. Both look like the typical silver type and I'm not seeing any orp traits.

I was wondering if these 1st eggs would have orp fathers since Poof Poof was free ranging with them a few days before her boyfriend arrived. Of course, Poof Poof's eggs have never hatched and rarely have the fertile bull's eye, because she doesn't care for my orp boys. Anyway, i couldn't be happier.

View attachment 1471568
Congratulations! That's awesome that they are purebreds!

View attachment 1471568
Oh what fun!!!!!!

trio 7 23 (3 of 1).jpg

Flugel says, "Look girls, I found something good to eat!" Heidi, next to him, says, "Ooooo, let me see!" Greta, on the left, says, "Um, I'm not falling for that."
Heidi sticks to him like glue, Greta usually just heads off on her own.

Picture overload time. Bear with me, it's hard to know which thumbnails on my phone I should click or not click when I upload files. Might err on the side of too many. ;)

So my Spitzhaubens are coming up on 14 weeks. Surely if my pullets are late blooming boys, they can't be much later than this, can they?

Hanni:
IMG_6781.JPG
IMG_6788.JPG
IMG_6789.JPG
IMG_6790.JPG
IMG_6797.JPG

Heidi:
IMG_6794.JPG
IMG_6795.JPG
IMG_6814.JPG
IMG_6816.JPG
IMG_6817.JPG

Both eating out of the dish (Remembering to bring my phone at feeding time was the only way I could get them out of the weeds for pictures.):
IMG_6811.JPG

Editing to add Helmut for comparison.
IMG_6792.JPG
IMG_6793.JPG

Sven is convalescing. I think I'm going to lose him. I don't know what happened, but he suddenly started stumbling around funny and can't really walk.

Attachments

• IMG_6796.JPG
    IMG_6796.JPG
    854.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6815.JPG
    IMG_6815.JPG
    911.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Caption reads, "Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben places well at the North Dakota State Fair Poultry Show. Reserve Champion over her division, Best of Breed."
a winner.png

Last edited:
Awesome! I didn't think they were a recognized breed in the US, so unable to show. But, I also think they're so pretty & SHOULD be shown off.
I thought that too, that they aren't recognized. @Alaskan --do you know?
But I did see one last year in a local county fair, in fact that's where I got interested in the breed. I'm going back to that fair this week, maybe the same person will enter others. I'll talk to the judges.

Back
Top Bottom