Spitzhaubens

Pics
My Spitzhauben chicks are coming up on 12 weeks and I am finally beginning to sex them.

The 2 that I'm sure are males have been obvious for a couple of weeks now, but not because of pinkness or wattles. The first really definitive sign was their two top tail feathers began to grow longer. At that point, they didn't show much difference in combs or wattles than the other two. Now the difference is more marked, but I still live in fear that my pullets will sprout wattles and tail sickles any day now. One of the pullets does have a crazier crest than the other, and that's the one I'm most worried about.

I really can't get good pictures because they like to stay in the shade of the weeds. But here are a few poor shots that I was able to get this afternoon. I will keep trying to get better ones.

Hoping this one is a pullet. The tail line is still blunt.
IMG_6670.JPG

This is the pullet with the crazy crest:
IMG_6671.JPG

Obvious male on the left.
IMG_6673.JPG
IMG_6674.JPG

I think this is the same pullet as above, with the crazier crest. I call her Hanni, and I really hope she isn't a Hans.
IMG_6675.JPG

Here is Heidi, the pullet with the tighter, black crest.
IMG_6694.JPG
IMG_6696.JPG

I started out with Hanni, Heidi, Helge and Sven. Helge had to become Helmut. :(

that first photo has a bunch of curved feathers at the tail base.... make me think male. :oops:
Yes, I've been watching that too. Because every one of them had those curved feathers early on. I was really worried I had all boys. So I've been going back through this whole thread, and the other spitz threads too. And it seems like everybody's hens and pullets have curved feathers there, only they are rounded and not pointy. Well, fingers crossed. I sure hope I have at least one girl, but two would seem more fair.

I don't think my girls do. Especially not ones that softly curve down.

The have feathers there... but they are straight.

20180411_125021-1.jpg

and here is a tail close up. Feathers there, yes, but rounded and they don't curve downward.

20180321_120237(0)-1.jpg

And yes, sucky bad odds for you. :hugs

I don't think my girls do. Especially not ones that softly curve down.

The have feathers there... but they are straight.

View attachment 1467674

and here is a tail close up. Feathers there, yes, but rounded and they don't curve downward.

View attachment 1467675

And yes, sucky bad odds for you. :hugs
You're right. There is a big difference between your photos and Hanni. :(

Well, I will keep looking every day for her tail to sprout sickles or her wattles to grow. Sigh.

@Faraday40 Did you set Spitz eggs after your rooster visitor left? Any fertile?
Yes!
I set the 1st 3-4 right away.... along with some orp eggs. I collected for another 2 weeks & set those..... plus a few more orp & EE eggs. She laid the 2 days after I set eggs, so I popped them in too. I'll just keep the incubator on for an extra 2 days if needed.

* I know I certainly don't need all those extra chicks, but I just can't stand running an incubator with all those empty spaces!
:oops:

So ...... From the 1st eggs, I have 2 eggs - due to hatch around Wednesday. :celebrate
(These were collected right after the rooster's arrival, so could be 1/2 orp.)

From the 2nd batch, I have 5 developing + 2 ??? late additions

Since both Spitzes are silver spangled, I'm sure I'll be able to pick out any large "Orping-haubens" (Or should it be "Spitzingtons" ?) My friend who owns the spitz roo discovered that he's mating ALL hens. She ended up with some very unique but pretty orps - several had tiny crests.
:lau
Here's a pic she sent me:
upload_2018-7-15_18-12-37.png

Hopefully I'll be able to post my own pics by next weekend!!!

Back
Top Bottom