Spitzhaubens

Pics
This year a Hamburg won Best in Show at our county fair. At 1st I thought it was a spitz until I got closer & realized she was missing the crest.

DS's spitzes have all hatched. The last one had a little membrane stuck on the head, so it has an adorable mohawk.
img_1266-jpg.1489131

.... and here's the "happy" mama:
img_1193-jpg.1489125

Who doesn't love the broody stink eye?

Along with DS's spitzes, we hatched a few Easter-orps.
img_1247-jpg.1489160

DD's silkie started laying again after being broody. She happened to be with DD's bantam cockerel (who had just discovered the joys of mating).
We slipped the egg into the incubator & here's what we got:
:love
img_1303-jpg.1489158

Can't wait to see how she/he looks all dried & fluffy.

It's an unexpected red-gold color, b/c both parents are light.
Mom: splash silkie

Dad: light colored silkied serama

Hi everyone! Just yesterday I got two chicks (supposedly pullets) so my broody Jersey Black Giant Hazel could foster them. Mine are super young I think; dont have their wing feathers in yet (that's a thing, right?). I've been researching about the breed and mainly see babies that look like they would grow to be white/black. My babies dont look like that, though. They are buff colored and mainly one color. I will post picks later today. Do I just have the gold/black version maybe? They seem really sweet so far. They took right to their new mama and she took right to them.

Hi everyone! Just yesterday I got two chicks (supposedly pullets) so my broody Jersey Black Giant Hazel could foster them. Mine are super young I think; dont have their wing feathers in yet (that's a thing, right?). I've been researching about the breed and mainly see babies that look like they would grow to be white/black. My babies dont look like that, though. They are buff colored and mainly one color. I will post picks later today. Do I just have the gold/black version maybe? They seem really sweet so far. They took right to their new mama and she took right to them.
Pics would help.... and everyone loves to see chick pics. I think the silver spangled spitzes are the most common type, but there are other colors. They could also be spitz mixes. Sexing them is very difficult, so unless the breeder does vent sexing, it's a long waiting game to identify gender. I can usually guess at 6 wks & confirm around 8 wks.

The ever adventurous Spitzes and one of the bantams surrounding a rabbit....who bolted away
View attachment 1494218 View attachment 1494217
Poor bunny - but good for your birds to scare him away! Bunnies & squirrels eat too much of my garden, so I encourage my flock to play chase. Great timing to have a camera. For a good laugh you should put your pics on the thread: "What's this chicken thinking?" ... or rabbit in this case.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-is-this-chicken-thinking.714104/

Flugel is moving up in rank now. When he calls his girls, the year old hens come running, there are 5 of them. As far as I can tell, he only mates w the 2 pullets, and only one of them shows the fertile bullseye on her egg yolks. These eggs are tiny, I assume too tiny to try to hatch. The Sebright hen again went broody (4th time in 4 months) but I put her in broody jail again as I don't have hatching eggs for her yet.
Speaking of eggs, these Spitzhauben pullets are little egg laying machines! The 2 of them have laid 20 eggs in the past 11 days!
calling all girls (3 of 1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom