Splash Ameraucana x Bielefelder Color Genetics

ChelsisChooks

Chirping
May 31, 2019
I have been looking for local Bielefelder eggs with no success. I finally found a Breeder that has a group of Bielefelder hens with two Bielefelder roosters the issue is she also has a Splash Ameraucana that has been in that pen. I’m trying to figure out how easily I would be able to pick out the pure bielefelder chicks from those that are BxAmera.

I understand that splash is a double copy of blue and blue can only present on a black base. And so any (generically) black chicks will be blue.

I also understand that male chicks will get a white spot on their head (indicating cuckoo which will be inherited from their bielefelder moms).

My question is likelihood of the Ameraucana offspring being a black base given the genetic color makeup of their bielefelder mom. Can a bielefelder produce a black chick? Or will is likely be 50/50? I suppose there may be other genetic markers that show such as muff and pea comb.
Do you think it will be easy to spot the purebreds?

Thanks

It will be easy to spot pures. Biefelder x ameraucana would have a pea comb, muffs and beard which would be easy to spot.
The chicks have a 50% chance of being barred I believe.

It will be easy to spot pures. Biefelder x ameraucana would have a pea comb, muffs and beard which would be easy to spot.
The chicks have a 50% chance of being barred I believe.
All male chicks would be barred and all females would be solid. I do not believe pea combs or muff/beards are dominant traits and so not all of the ameraucana would have these features.

All male chicks would be barred and all females would be solid. I do not believe pea combs or muff/beards are dominant traits and so not all of the ameraucana would have these features.
Doing Barred roo over solid hen does not make autosexing chicks. It has to be solid rooster over barred hen.

Pea combs, muffs and beard are dominant so all the chicks that have ameraucana in them would have all those traits.

Pea combs are dominant over single comb. However, 50% of the offspring could have single combs if the ameraucana parent only has only copy of the pea comb gene, which shouldn’t happen if the ameraucana is well bred. Most of the offspring will be bearded, but maybe not all. Beard genetics are a bit confusing sometimes.
A purebred barred rooster will always produce 100% barred chicks. If the hen is the barred one in the cross, then the chicks would be sex-linked.
Black (and therefore blue and splash) are very dominant colorations and splash x barred gold duckwing (coloration of a bielefelder) should produce all blue chicks, ranging from solid blue (and solid blue barred) to blue/blue barred with leakage.
Purebred chicks will be easy to tell apart.

I have been looking for local Bielefelder eggs with no success. I finally found a Breeder that has a group of Bielefelder hens with two Bielefelder roosters the issue is she also has a Splash Ameraucana that has been in that pen. I’m trying to figure out how easily I would be able to pick out the pure bielefelder chicks from those that are BxAmera.

I understand that splash is a double copy of blue and blue can only present on a black base. And so any (generically) black chicks will be blue.

I also understand that male chicks will get a white spot on their head (indicating cuckoo which will be inherited from their bielefelder moms).

My question is likelihood of the Ameraucana offspring being a black base given the genetic color makeup of their bielefelder mom. Can a bielefelder produce a black chick? Or will is likely be 50/50? I suppose there may be other genetic markers that show such as muff and pea comb.
Do you think it will be easy to spot the purebreds?

Thanks
Wait, is the splash ameraucana a rooster?

I found this thread rather interesting as I ordered some bielefelders from Mcmurray hatchery, and have one that does not look like the others (anymore)… as a chick, she looked like everyone else, and then even at 7 weeks she looked the same, but now at 11 weeks, I thought someone dropped off a chicken that I didn’t know about! All her patterned feathers have gone away, and she is now mostly blueish/gray and a red color? What I’m the world…. She also has yellow legs 😅 I’m at a loss…
C4FAFBEE-BD5C-483E-87F4-1480541D0532.jpeg F6B4F689-7F96-4530-97C0-1DE51E61FB9F.png

Are there bielefelders that are more blue?

Back
Top Bottom