Splash and Het. Dom. White Genetics

AbedsAviary

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Halifax, Va.
I have a question for some of you genetic experts. I have a trio of rosecombs. A splash rooster over 2 black hens. I have hatched about 20 chicks out so far and i thought they would all be blue, however, i havnt got any blue, i have got about 1/2 splash and 1/2 black. These adults look to be pretty good quality birds. Does anyone know why i am not gectting all blues? I will post some pics of the parents and the chicks i hatched out so far tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for your help.

How do you get a heterozygous Dominant White slpash? Is that like a black and white cross? Would all of the splash chicks i have would be heterozygous Dominant White? Would i get any whites by breeding the chicks together?

Thanks

Quote:
Do you have any pics of your birds, if what blackdotte is saying is correct, and it does sound like the case from what you are describing, then the birds wouldnt be Splash, but just Het. Dom White. Like California Whites if you have every seen them, they are white with black spots kinda like a splash but the white is cleaner. And if this is the case and they are Het.Dom. White, By breeding the the Whites to Whites would give, you should get about a quarter Homo. Dom Whites, half Het. Dom Whites, and a quarter blacks I belive.

Again

Pics of the birds and chicks you are getting would really help. Are your "Splash" chicks more of a grayish color or White with black dots ?

They are more of white with a few black spots. They dont really look like other splashes i have seen. They really do look sililar to California whites. I will take some pics of them tomorrow in the day light. So if they are het. dom. whites and i breed them togther i should get some regular whites, i guess that would be a homo dom. white.

How are het. Dom. White created?

I will post some pics in the morning.

Thanks

Quote:
That sounds like het Dom Whites then. And yes, Homo. means it has two copies of a gene, and het means it has only one copy. So crossing a bird that is homozygous for a gene with one that doesnt carry the gene gives Hets.

And crossing Het with Black ( non carrier) like you are saying should give half of each which is what you said you are getting.

Here are some pics of the adults and chicks. What do you think?

26220_picture2_020.jpg

26220_picture2_022.jpg

26220_picture2_021.jpg

26220_picture2_024.jpg

26220_picture2_023.jpg

26220_picture2_027.jpg

26220_picture2_025.jpg

26220_picture2_030.jpg

wink.png
Yep, Thats Dom. White instead of Splash. Do you happen to have any BBReds too ? If you did you could breed those Whites to BBReds and over a few generations of breeding the white patterned ones back to BBReds, you would end up with Red Pyle Rosecombes.

I did buy a pair and a trio of BB red Rosecombs from the Ohio National. I gave them to a friend but i could get some chicks or maybe a pair or trio back if i want. I might get some back and work on the Pyles. I know it would take a few years but it would be a cool project since red pyle is one of my favorite colors.

If i bred these het. Dominate Whites together i would get white that look like this?

This is not my pic, it came from the rosecomb federation site.
v6m14j.jpg

Quote:
That one should be a Homo. Dom White so breeding your hets together should give you 25% Homos. like that one, 50% Hets., and 25% Blacks.

Back
Top Bottom