Splash Easter Egger?

Cicarlso

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2017
Hi there, I have a 10 week old Easter egger roo that appears mainly white but is starting to have a few black feathers here and there. I know that Easter eggers are random colors, but I guess my question would be does even a little amount of "splash" coloring mean it would carry a splash gene?

The picture is not great, but he has a prominent black feather in his tail and more light around his neck. Also looks a kind of dirty white on his head. He was a yellow chick with a slightly greyish head. I figure his color will still change a bit. Hopefully this makes sense.. kind of a newbie here :)

I would also be interested in seeing examples of other splash Easter Egger roosters if you have them!

Attachments

• IMG_4513.JPG
    IMG_4513.JPG
    822.3 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_4514.JPG
    IMG_4514.JPG
    796.9 KB · Views: 154
Actually, there is no "splash" gene, only a blue gene. A splash bird is a genetically black bird that carries two blue genes, while a blue bird carries one blue gene. Both are genetically black birds carrying one or two blue genes. I'm not sure if it's splash or just a white bird with black in the tail, from those photos. EEs can be just about anything. Where did you get him?

Actually, there is no "splash" gene, only a blue gene. A splash bird is a genetically black bird that carries two blue genes, while a blue bird carries one blue gene. Both are genetically black birds carrying one or two blue genes. I'm not sure if it's splash or just a white bird with black in the tail, from those photos. EEs can be just about anything. Where did you get him?

Yes the blue gene is what I mean then :) I got him from Meyer Hatchery

Yes the blue gene is what I mean then :) I got him from Meyer Hatchery

Well, I see that Meyer sells blue Ameraucanas separately, then they sell Easter Eggers. which of course are a mixed genetic bag. What they are doing to get blue Ameraucanas is to breed a black to a splash, which always produces a blue bird. So, that leaves only their EE stock. Unless they have actual blue EEs that they are breeding together to make splash, I would think your guy is a white bird with some black in him, not a true splash. Time will tell.

Well, I see that Meyer sells blue Ameraucanas separately, then they sell Easter Eggers. which of course are a mixed genetic bag. What they are doing to get blue Ameraucanas is to breed a black to a splash, which always produces a blue bird. So, that leaves only their EE stock. Unless they have actual blue EEs that they are breeding together to make splash, I would think your guy is a white bird with some black in him, not a true splash. Time will tell.

Looks like he's dominant white, but only a single copy, allowing that random bit of black.
Thanks for this! I've researched a lot since this and I think that is what he is. Here he is now at 11 weeks

Attachments

• IMG_4675.JPG
    IMG_4675.JPG
    876.6 KB · Views: 135
IMG_5051.JPG
Another update, he's definitely not splash. At 18 weeks old he has gotten a lot of gold-ish coloring to him. Can't wait to see what he looks like in a couple months.

Back
Top Bottom