Splash vs Paint silkies

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
So I’m either blind or splash looks almost exactly like paint in silkies. Or is paint a silkie specific color and that’s why? What is the difference between the two?

Frist 5 pictures are of my Paint silkie and the rest of the pictures I got off safari and are marked as Splash

Attachments

• IMG_6091.jpeg
    IMG_6091.jpeg
    451.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6092.jpeg
    IMG_6092.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6093.jpeg
    IMG_6093.jpeg
    512.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6094.jpeg
    IMG_6094.jpeg
    922.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6095.jpeg
    IMG_6095.jpeg
    758.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6098.jpeg
    IMG_6098.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6099.png
    IMG_6099.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
The main difference is genetics, I don't know much about paint genetics but I do know that Splash comes from the blue gene, Breeding two blues together will cause splashes, The main difference I've noticed is paints are alot more of a brighter white and Splash are more of a dull gray or blue color with the black splotches

The main difference is genetics, I don't know much about paint genetics but I do know that Splash comes from the blue gene, Breeding two blues together will cause splashes, The main difference I've noticed is paints are alot more of a brighter white and Splash are more of a dull gray or blue color with the black splotches
Oh I never noticed that. Thank you! That’s probably it… kind of like an austrawhite… Like how they are a white leghorn bred with a black australorp but if it was to be a blue australorp it would be a splash pattern not a paint?

Splash is two copies of blue. Give the bird a blue/gry color with dark blue splashes.
Paint is dominated white x black. The bird is white with black spots. And when breeding paint to paint I believe you get paint, black and an occasional dominant white (I may be wrong about the paints)
The main difference between splash and paint is the genetics and colors.

Back
Top Bottom