Splay leg

KCDC

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2020
Northern Illinois
So my daughter is raising khaki Campbell ducklings for her FFA class. We received 16 ducklings a week ago. One emerged as a ‘runt’ this week and a second developed what I believe is splay leg. We segregated the two, adding extra B Complex to their water. I used the vet tape treatment on splay leg tonight and put them both on a brooder with just an old towel as the base. We are rookies at raising ducks so is there anything more I should do?
1. To help splay leg
2. To add weight/growth to the runt

I appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• 34F72584-DE80-4AA0-9387-957D60A04CBE.jpeg
    34F72584-DE80-4AA0-9387-957D60A04CBE.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 27
I had a duckling develop splay leg this summer and I made sure to dose her with the liquid vitamin B complex several times a day. I also left the vet tape hobbles on her for a couple of weeks. She recovered beautifully! Hope your little one does as well.

I had a duckling develop splay leg this summer and I made sure to dose her with the liquid vitamin B complex several times a day. I also left the vet tape hobbles on her for a couple of weeks. She recovered beautifully! Hope your little one does as well.

Thank you for responding. Being new to all this I’m hopeful I’m doing what I need to but certainly open to suggestions

I added the vitamin B complex to food as well as water, because I knew they ate the food, but the water would get dirty so fast and need changing, I always felt nervous they weren't getting enough. You can't overdose.

I don't really have pics or videos that show what was going on with my duck Puddles prior to the hobbles, but basically she grew so fast I think her body just couldn't keep up, even though we were giving brewers yeast and niacin every day. She just spent a lot of time laying down when the other ducks were running around, and she would slip when she tried to get up, even though I tried several different floorings for the brooder - like shelf liner, towels, etc. Once we put the hobbles on and started with the vitamin B it made all the difference. We had to replace the vet tape several times, we still let her swim in the bathtub and it sometimes would come off, but this was no problem, and I felt like swimming was good exercise for her legs. I tried to upload a video of her walking around with her hobbles, but my internet is so horrible it didn't work. I can try again tomorrow.

So my daughter is raising khaki Campbell ducklings for her FFA class. We received 16 ducklings a week ago. One emerged as a ‘runt’ this week and a second developed what I believe is splay leg. We segregated the two, adding extra B Complex to their water. I used the vet tape treatment on splay leg tonight and put them both on a brooder with just an old towel as the base. We are rookies at raising ducks so is there anything more I should do?
1. To help splay leg
2. To add weight/growth to the runt

I appreciate any advice.

Puppy pads, especially in the brooder with the other 14 ducklings, will make your lives considerably easier when it comes to clean-up.

I love the expression on the splay-legged duckling. Just, "are we done here yet?"

And can we see a picture of the runt? Especially next to one of the normal/healthier ones?

Puppy pads, especially in the brooder with the other 14 ducklings, will make your lives considerably easier when it comes to clean-up.

I love the expression on the splay-legged duckling. Just, "are we done here yet?"

And can we see a picture of the runt? Especially next to one of the normal/healthier ones?

Thank you for the suggestions. I’ve been amazed at both the growth of the runt and the ability of the splay leg to get around the brooder flawlessly. (One it got the hang of it) I just took this photo of the two side by side. Splay leg is normal size compared to the rest of them. Also adding some b complex to the food now as well. Things are looking up for the two of them thanks to the wonderful people of BYC.

Attachments

• 8C06B25B-33DD-4601-A110-1116CD0D6478.jpeg
    8C06B25B-33DD-4601-A110-1116CD0D6478.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 10
  • B20EE0C9-D4AD-4271-9AA0-4C10F07B27DD.jpeg
    B20EE0C9-D4AD-4271-9AA0-4C10F07B27DD.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 10
Thank you for the suggestions. I’ve been amazed at both the growth of the runt and the ability of the splay leg to get around the brooder flawlessly. (One it got the hang of it) I just took this photo of the two side by side. Splay leg is normal size compared to the rest of them. Also adding some b complex to the food now as well. Things are looking up for the two of them thanks to the wonderful people of BYC.

Just eyeballing it the two look pretty close to the same size with one being slightly smaller, so you guys are doing an awesome job with them.

Back
Top Bottom