Splayed legs after sitin on eggs

karenrdaveh

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 12, 2013
My 2 year old hen has just spent 21 days sitting eggs and althouht throughout the time she kept disposing of unwanted eggs she has successfully hatched one is now the proud mum of a beautiful tiny black chick. However, Mum now seems unable to stand up - she is eating and drinking well - we are wondering if she is just too weak after a long period of sitting or if she has stiff legs, they almost look splayed - any ideas please?

Last edited:
My 2 year old hen has just spent 21 days sitting eggs and although throughout the time she kept disposing of unwanted eggs she has successfully hatched one is now the proud mum of a beautiful tiny black chick. However, Mum now seems unable to stand up - she is eating and drinking well - we are wondering if she is just too weak after a long period of sitting or if she has stiff legs, they almost look splayed - any ideas please?

give her a day or 2

my cockerel was being naughty so i cooped him in a small pen only 2 days and when i let him out he couldn't walk and only wanted to sit

standing was too much for him

due to sitting for so long

but a few days later he was fine and carried on even mounts the girls

just allow her to get her leg strength back and she will be fine

give her some vitamins to supplement her recovery

That's unusual. It might be similar to what happens to dog and sheep females in some places, where they usually end up off their feet after motherhood occurs. It is usually down to calcium, magnesium and phosphorous balance and is usually treated with magnesium.

But it got that way in the first place due to deficiency so the whole diet needs looking over. I haven't had that so it's only my best bet, going on other people's information, but it may not be correct as a diagnosis obviously, so best wishes with that.

Thank you all for your advice, thankfully she has now started to stand and move around, she seemed ver hungry (even though I have always made sure there is food and water close at hand for her), we have given her marmite on toast which always perks them up so on the road to recovery and looking after her chick

Thank you all for your advice, thankfully she has now started to stand and move around, she seemed ver hungry (even though I have always made sure there is food and water close at hand for her), we have given her marmite on toast which always perks them up so on the road to recovery and looking after her chick
that's great to know

Back
Top Bottom