Split beak

super silkie

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 7, 2014
One of my silkie hens has a split beak and I would like to know If I can or should do something about it

images

Yes, post a pic here so we can have a look at it. Beaks grow. And if this is NOT a genetic issue or deformity, where they beak would want to grow in the split fashion, then the split will grow out. If this bird was hatched this way, it will most likely always be split.

Good luck with your babies and enjoy BYC!

I don't really know how long but she did not have it all her life I just saw it yesterday

I don't really know how long but she did not have it all her life I just saw it yesterday
The split doesn't look all that bad. And it doesn't look like it would effect her eating. You might find an avian vet near by you and see if maybe the beak can be trimmed down. I wouldn't do it yourself as beaks have blood and sensory feeling to them and you can cause her pain if you don't trim it right. But if you can't find a vet, unless it gets worse, I don't think it is a problem. If she is eating and drinking well, I would leave it alone. Good luck with her, she is a cutey pie!

Back
Top Bottom