Splurged on coop kit! Lancaster standard [PICs!]

Carpe DiHen

Songster
9 Years
Feb 4, 2010
El Dorado County, CA
If anyone is thinking about buying a kit coop on line, I thought I'd share our experience. It was pricey, but we do not have a lot of time off and wanted something pretty and fast. We needed something sturdy to hold up to 2 feet of snow and tons of racoons. We still need to build a run (4+ x 14) and fence the area.

Here is where we bought it: http://www.chickencoopsource.com/ch...s/lancasterstandardquakerchickencoop.cfm#tabs

We got it shipped free to California, plus 10% off first time buyer. It came in one week, all on one tidy pallet. We put it together in one day. It came painted, but I painted the inside before we put it together.

Here it is finished (steps to follow):
48358_coop_009.jpg

Here are the steps:
48358_coop_004.jpg

48358_coop_005.jpg

Egg Nesting Boxes go in:

48358_coop_006.jpg

48358_coop_007.jpg

Finshed!
48358_coop_008.jpg

I'll post pictures of our run after we get it built. Plus the fencing. Lots more to do!

The company was nice to deal with and it went together pretty well. There were a few glitches, but nothing we couln't fix. It is made really well.

We would have loved to design a pretty custom coop like some of you have, but that would be a retirement project and I don't want to wait that long for my chickens!!!
wee.gif

More updates later (much later!).

Enjoy, I hope this was helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a great looking job. I noticed no permanent full-time ventilation at all. I would suggest putting two triangular vents of 3 sq ft total area at minimum, just at the peaks of your gable ends at the very top of the two sidewalls. You might add a roof vent too. Ventilation is of supreme importance in building a healthy coop. Never mind heat retention in cold weather. Not important unless in the arctic circle or somewhere like that. Two other things: Do an electrified run with a really hefty fence-charger and put several courses of hot wire around everything. I would make the run larger too and make it so that you can walk in. You will never regret it.

Gerry

Last edited:
Quote:
I have ordered 6 chickens (listed below) and I don't plan to expand. The coop is rated for 4-6 chickens. It is 4 x 4 plust the nest box.

Does that sound ok? They will be able to free range too.

Quote:
It has a large screened window on the back. So there is cross ventillation from the window in the front to the vent in the back. I like the idea of a roof vent, or a gable vent, thank you for sugesting that!

Yes the run will be high enough for me to walk in, I like that idea too. Got lots of ideas for a run on the forum!

Good thread. I've always wondered how those coops work out. It would be great if you could post some more step by step pictures, perhaps in this thread or on your BYC page. Also, I'd like to know how the pieces are put together, nails or screws?

Quote:
The parts that came pre-assembled were screwed. The screws that came with the kit were not to our specifications, we bought our own and used some of their's. It's all screwed (in a good way!).
celebrate.gif

It looks great! I'm looking to build a somewhat larger coop soon and am so stuck for design ideas. I only wish I could buy a kit and have it all done in a day! I hope you'll post pics of the finished product when the run is completed and your new chicks have moved in. Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom