Spoiled Chickens Finally Go To Bed At 9 pm!

kbroom

Songster
Jan 26, 2023
My older flock of chickens (3 months old now) decided to wait me out tonight! I tried rattle canning them. I have something REALLY GOOD, that they like in the can. I shook the can, and sprinkled a little bit into their coop. They saw where it was going, and just looked at me. It was already sunset. So, my husband said to wait after dinner, and then come out and see if they've gone into their coop. It was 9 o'clock, and I wanted to get some green onions for a salad. I went outside to cut some from my garden. I decided to check on them (Joy, Sweetie and Sugar), to see if they'd gone in. What I saw was a relief. They were all huddled around their night water container, near the light. They didn't even move, as though they were frozen with fright! I spoke some lovey words to them, closed them in and put down their tarp covering, which seems to help them to calm down. Later, when I walked the dogs, I checked on them again, and they were now acting normal...I guess this is a learning curve for me. Or was it just the competition of Mom and Chicken wills??? LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_4591 (1).JPG
    IMG_4591 (1).JPG
    698.2 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_4590 (1).JPG
    IMG_4590 (1).JPG
    757.9 KB · Views: 10
Yep. That's my older flock. I'm a first time chicken mommy, full of mistakes, but I LOVE these babies! I also have one more flock of little babies. They're only a month old, and they are all Golden Sex Links. My "older" flock are respectively, one Rock Barred, one Easter Egger, and one Golden Laced Wyandotte.

Attachments

• IMG_4623.JPG
    IMG_4623.JPG
    801.9 KB · Views: 9
I like to be a little firmer. Just like human children if they learn they can get away with stuff they will keep doing it.
At dusk I go around with my giant plastic rake, which is far more effective than just human legs because I can wiggle it, extend it away from me, and prevent darting around me and whatnot. Anyone who doesn't respect the rake gets pushed gently along, which I hardly ever have to do.
Used right, it's not scary but just like a rooster telling them "Go. To. Bed. Now."

Some predators are out and about at dusk so it's really taking a chance to let them procrastinate. I give them whatever time the sun offers, when they can see threats and look after themselves, but nighttime is bedtime and that's final. They all learn to hop to it if every night is the same thing.
Speaking of hopping, aren't your kids sleeping on a roost yet?

A little confused about the plastic trays in there. Kinda makes it hard for them to walk, doesn't it? And it may discourage roosting as they can't jump up and down without hitting plastic underfoot.

Also if you do away with the tarp and the rope light, would there be enough natural light for them to see inside to navigate in there?

So pretty! They'll be laying for you soon! Bet you can't wait for that first egg!
I will be SO happy on that day! I don't care which one lays first. In the beginning, before I knew what kind of chicken the Wyandotte was, I thought she might be a male, because of her dominant actions. "She" may STILL be a male, but at least, that will start another flock??? My husband told me when we first got them that he didn't want to have any roosters, but after we got them, I informed him that even if Sugar turned out to be a Sergay, We're Keeping him! Of course, now his mind and heart have turned to chicken liver with love, and of course, it doesn't matter now. LOL! My husband also says that my baby Golden Sex Links can't do anything but get prettier, because they're so ugly! I have to get more recent pics of them. They're growing so quickly, and now I think they have beautiful green blue eyes!

Attachments

• IMG_4667.JPG
    IMG_4667.JPG
    484.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4610.JPG
    IMG_4610.JPG
    665.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4661.JPG
    IMG_4661.JPG
    441.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4611.JPG
    IMG_4611.JPG