Spot’s Coturnix quail colour experiments

Those all seem normal if they have SSC (Silver), which is incompletely dominant. If you can find the original eBay ad for the eggs I’d be curious to read the description.
Maybe what I think is silver is not what people now call silver. I will have a look and see if I can find the add

Those all seem normal if they have SSC (Silver), which is incompletely dominant. If you can find the original eBay ad for the eggs I’d be curious to read the description.
I can’t find the add any more, it has been more then a year since I got the eggs

Maybe what I think is silver is not what people now call silver. I will have a look and see if I can find the add
The schofield silver collection SSC is what most people call silver, but there are other types of gray, such as blue (Blau) and lavender. SSC is incompletely dominant and lavender is recessive. The other types don’t have any lethal aspect that I know of, but SSC is considered lethal or detrimental in double form, so one copy makes silver (gray) and 2 copies is lethal white.

Most of the grays cannot be distinguished from other types of gray/silver, especially when mixed with other colors and patterns. However, If you mix to a non gray, that youre certain has no gray in it at all, and you get some grays, you probably have SSC.

The schofield silver collection SSC is what most people call silver, but there are other types of gray, such as blue (Blau) and lavender. SSC is incompletely dominant and lavender is recessive. The other types don’t have any lethal aspect that I know of, but SSC is considered lethal or detrimental in double form, so one copy makes silver (gray) and 2 copies is lethal white.

Most of the grays cannot be distinguished from other types of gray/silver, especially when mixed with other colors and patterns. However, If you mix to a non gray, that youre certain has no gray in it at all, and you get some grays, you probably have SSC.
I think the confuse come from that blue used to be called silver, the link at the top of my list calls SSC/silver, lethal white as far as I can understand

I think the confuse come from that blue used to be called silver, the link at the top of my list calls SSC/silver, lethal white as far as I can understand
That article is very interesting, but a bit vague. It’s also 13 years old, and much has changed. I believe, based on context that they are giving SSC the designation of W. With one copy being what we call silver and 2 copies being white.

Have you checked out southwest gamebirds genetics pages? They’re a work in progress, but I find they are very informative. However, just like lethal gold was determined to be a separate mutation from fawn, that occurs at the same locus I believe, a lot of what we have now are combinations of mutations. I’ve been finding that with double silvers, the bad effects must occur separately to the silver color mutation because with careful breeding of double silvers, I get healthy chicks, and accidental, boy in the henhouse incidents still produce more sickly chicks.

we also need to remember these are lab mutations, but people were keeping and breeding quail long before you could use the internet to read about this stuff. In the Coturnix corner interview with Perry Schofield, he talks about how back like in the 60s I believe, it was common to find many mutations that we don’t see today, and people, even scientists say don’t exist, like albinos, and heterochromia. People bred what they liked, and the mutations that were more popular, spread, and others fizzled out.

That article is very interesting, but a bit vague. It’s also 13 years old, and much has changed. I believe, based on context that they are giving SSC the designation of W. With one copy being what we call silver and 2 copies being white.

Have you checked out southwest gamebirds genetics pages? They’re a work in progress, but I find they are very informative. However, just like lethal gold was determined to be a separate mutation from fawn, that occurs at the same locus I believe, a lot of what we have now are combinations of mutations. I’ve been finding that with double silvers, the bad effects must occur separately to the silver color mutation because with careful breeding I get healthy chicks, and accidental, boy in the henhouse incidents still produce more sickly chicks.

we also need to remember these are lab mutations, but people were keeping and breeding quail long before you could use the internet to read about this stuff. In the Coturnix corner interview with Perry Schofield, he talks about how back like in the 60s I believe, it was common to find many mutations that we don’t see today, and people, even scientists say don’t exist, like albinos, and heterochromia. People bred what they liked, and the mutations that were more popular, spread, and others fizzled out.
No I have not I will go check it out. I found something which mentioned a red egg gene, I would love to be able to get red eggs from my quails, sad it is not around anymore (at least as far as I know)

No I have not I will go check it out. I found something which mentioned a red egg gene, I would love to be able to get red eggs from my quails, sad it is not around anymore (at least as far as I know)
I read an old scientific article where they found red layers, but I’ve never seen any other mention of them that was legit. There’s a real shady operation claiming to have red and coal layers, but when requested they sent no images of red layers, and the coal layer photos they sent me were black and white and looked like celadons photoshopped in grayscale.

The article you listed as silver/blue uses quail with the schofield silver collection version of gray/silver. I believe, but it’s been a while since I read it, that the chicken color was what is called Andalusian. Breeding the SSC double silver quail to the silver (Andalusian?) chicken produced a hybrid double silver, indicating it is the same mutation.

My double silvers have thin legs, and small hearts, and are generally very small. They all have a reddish hue to their eyes, but they are not pink eyed per se. I do have some albinos and the difference in eye color is very apparent. It’s all very interesting to me. I also have a lovely male that is kind of a light cream color with darker light orange v (Italian) barring and pinkish eyes. He’s incredibly small, and definitely had only 1 silver parent, so I wonder if some of the size and physical differences are caused independently from the color.

Last edited:
The article you listed as silver/blue uses quail with the schofield silver collection version of gray/silver. I believe, but it’s been a while since I read it, that the chicken color was what is called Andalusian. Breeding the SSC double silver quail to the silver (Andalusian?) chicken produced a hybrid double silver, indicating it is the same mutation.

My double silvers have thin legs, and small hearts, and are generally very small. They all have a reddish hue to their eyes, but they are not pink eyed per se. I do have some albinos and the difference in eye color is very apparent. It’s all very interesting to me. I also have a lovely male that is kind of a light cream color with darker light orange v (Italian) barring and pinkish eyes. He’s incredibly small, and definitely had only 1 silver parent, so I wonder if some of the size and physical differences are caused independently from the color.
Do you have a picture of the orange male? It sounds very interesting

Do you have a picture of the orange male? It sounds very interesting
I have him still, so I’ll take some pics in a little bit. He so lovely I’m currently vetting him for whether he’s homozygous for celadon, he came from a celadon layer crossed to a known carrier so he has a 50/50 chance.

Back
Top Bottom