Spot cleaning eggs?

trilyn

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
East Syracuse
Yep, just like the subject line says. I do not wash my eggs, I just wipe off with a slightly damp paper towel the poo or dirt that is on there, gently. Is this acceptable? I know about the bloom and all, but neighbors and friends would freak if I left the poo on the egg! Your thoughts? Please! Thanks.
smile.png

canada-goose

Is Mostly Harmless
11 Years
Jul 16, 2009
That sounds fine to me. I think poo on an egg is just as bad as washing an egg, possibly worse.
Don't worry too much about it.

TipsyDog

Songster
10 Years
May 14, 2009
Aregua, Paraguay
When you take eggs out of the fridge for a couple of minutes they will sweat. That's when I always rub them with a paper towel and they're clean!

JeninMN

Songster
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Hmm...I always wash our eggs before selling...usually wait till I have around 8 - 10 dozen and then I gently wash them all before I bring them in for selling...is this bad????I wash them in water that is just a little warm...not even warm but warmer than the egg is out of the fridge.. I mean i'm not scrubbing them or anything but alot of ours still dont use the nesting boxes...I hope this isn't bad because I've been doing it that way for a year now!

kimntep

Songster
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Ocala, Florida
Hmm...no washing? I use a fine scotchbrite sponge and gently scrub each egg with lukewarm water, set them on a towel and let them air dry, sometimes overnight, before I put them in a carton and in the fridge. They've always looked and tasted great, but it is this the wrong way to do things??

Top Bottom