Spot cleaning eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trilyn, Oct 8, 2009.

1. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Yep, just like the subject line says. I do not wash my eggs, I just wipe off with a slightly damp paper towel the poo or dirt that is on there, gently. Is this acceptable? I know about the bloom and all, but neighbors and friends would freak if I left the poo on the egg! Your thoughts? Please! Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    That sounds fine to me. I think poo on an egg is just as bad as washing an egg, possibly worse.
    Don't worry too much about it.

3. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    When you take eggs out of the fridge for a couple of minutes they will sweat. That's when I always rub them with a paper towel and they're clean!

4. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Trilyn, I do the exact same thing.

5. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Hmm...I always wash our eggs before selling...usually wait till I have around 8 - 10 dozen and then I gently wash them all before I bring them in for selling...is this bad????I wash them in water that is just a little warm...not even warm but warmer than the egg is out of the fridge.. I mean i'm not scrubbing them or anything but alot of ours still dont use the nesting boxes...I hope this isn't bad because I've been doing it that way for a year now!

6. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Why shouldnt you wash them?

7. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it! *big sigh of relief* Have a great weekend!! [​IMG]

8. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    I just take a piece of fine sandpaper and gently rub the dirt off, sometimes I use a dry paper towel.

9. ziggy1964

ziggy1964 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    I must add I'm on about damaging setting eggs in bator !

10. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Hmm...no washing? I use a fine scotchbrite sponge and gently scrub each egg with lukewarm water, set them on a towel and let them air dry, sometimes overnight, before I put them in a carton and in the fridge. They've always looked and tasted great, but it is this the wrong way to do things??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by