spot on his face

digghere1000

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 12, 2013

My chicken suddenly has two spots on his face that make me worrying. Does the spots are cause by any disease? Or I don't have to worry about.

Thank ypu

Last edited:
Fowl pox is usually not that serious, just a scab or two, caused by a virus spread by mosquitoes. It can then be spread among the flock by the chickens. Unless they develop the wet fowl pox involving yellow cheese-like lesions inside the beak and throat, or lesions in the eyes, it will just go away in 6-7 weeks with just a little scab. In wet southern regions where pox is pretty bad, many will vaccinate. I've had a couple of birds with a single scab over the past couple of years, and had no problems. I'm not totally convinced that what your rooster has is pox, but I don't know what else it could be. If it doesn't scab up in a couple of days like the pictures, it probably isn't pox. Iodine is sometimes used to dry up the lesions.

Just out of curiousity, is fowl pox one of the infections that a chicken will carry forever and possibly shed to new chickens even when the active infection is over?

The rooster was vaccinated for fowl pox. Is that possible he still get fowl pox by any chance?

Last edited:
I don't doubt that your rooster was vaccinated, but it wasn't done as a day old chick was it? Most times its is done about 16 weeks of age. Sometimes it doesn't take. Are the two spots looking the same or have they scabbed over? If their isn't a scab, that isn't chicken pox.

Back
Top Bottom