Spraddle Leg Fix!

themadbackpacker

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
I just wanted to pass along some helpful information that might help anyone with Coturnix quail suffering from spraddle / splay leg. My wife started doing this process and it worked out amazingly!

Any chicks within 3 days old, put in a cardboard egg carton (bottom only with no top) inside the brooder and place the spraddled chicks in the egg cups. Sure they will work their way out of the carton, but just put them back in. Sitting in the cups forces their legs to be underneath and within a few days they will be walking as normal. We've had 2 quail chicks in each cup before and that seemed to help very much also, as the chicks support one another and lessens the chance of them getting out right away.

This made all of the difference for our hatches! In years past we've had to cull chicks that were so spraddle legged that even banding wouldn't fix. These last few years we've been able to fix every chick with that issue by it spending a few days in the carton.

Now I'm not saying everyone will have 100% success, but I wanted to share it with everyone just on the off chance it would help, if even a little.

Back
Top Bottom