spraddle/splay leg treatment

flg8r

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 30, 2013
I searched and found the article everyone links but it doesn't say when to remove the bandaid. The band aids I have are super sticky, they're not going to fall off any time soon. Can I take them off when the look like they are upright and walking well? Is there a time frame?

BTW, amazed at how well it worked on the first. I taped him up around 2am and at that time, he could not stand at all and was not mobile. He flailed a lot at first and I was convinced I did it wrong but by about 7am, he was running! Amazing. I waited to tape the 2nd because he was not as splayed and I think that made him take longer to improve but he's upright now too.

This whole hatch has been traumatic - one was deformed and when the 4th and 5th were zipping hours later, the power cut out. It seems to have killed all the ones that hadn't hatched at that point. I even took it to my car to get the heat back up and I guess that saved the babies but not the eggs. :(

You can take it off when you get the impression that it doesn't need it anymore. Mine needed it just for two days.

Thanks, one was falling off tonight and s/he was running around with it attached to one leg. It was clear it could come off. I'm not totally sure on the other, s/he doesn't seem as strong so I'll give it until morning and reassess. Hopefully I didn't wait too long for that one but at least it's more upright now.

Major set back: One seems 100% fine. The other never quite seemed 100%. I'm not sure if I waited too long to tape him (abotu 24 hours) or what but he was never fully upright. Well now one of his legs is completely off to the side.

I tried to band aid them back together, but it pulls his good leg out of position and he ends up on his side or back. I tried holding him upright for a while but he kept flipping as soon as I let him go and I was worried he wouldn't be able to get to water. He can't get upright on his own with them taped. As it stand, I'll have to cull him because one leg is completely at a 90 degree angle from his body, he can't get his body off the ground at all. Any suggestions?

I'm not having a good week with my quail. An adult got her toe trapped and I think she's going to lose it and something tried to get into one of my pens last night. The only good news is that it didn't get in and didn't hurt any of them. They were super scared this morning though.

Back
Top Bottom