Sprain or dislocated hip?

Porpie Pie

Songster
May 5, 2021
Hey Everyone! It been a while since I came to visit! I've got a rooster that I noticed is having trouble walking this morning. He tries to limp but then he looses his balance steps on his own feet then stumbles. When I went to grab him he tried to get away ( not a very affectionate breed) he hopes on his good leg. I don't see bumblefoot, no wound, leg doesn't look broken. When he looses his balance it looks like it's in his hip..like something is loose if that makes sense. I wonder if he got caught and yanked his foot? How do I tell if his leg or hip is dislocated? I've got him in a cat carrier with food and water to keep him still

How old is he? Was he vaccinated for Mareks? If possible post a video of him walking to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. Injuries are the most common reason for loss of balance or stumbling. Leg bone deformities can worsen with age and might be a possibility. Hopefully, it is nothing too serious.

He hatched last spring so not even a year old
How old is he? Was he vaccinated for Mareks? If possible post a video of him walking to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. Injuries are the most common reason for loss of balance or stumbling. Leg bone deformities can worsen with age and might be a possibility. Hopefully, it is nothing too serious.

Hes not even a year yet.

I hope the link works. He's not even a year old yet. No not vaccinated. I'm pretty sure he's stumbling because he's hopping around on just 1 foot. I have him by himself in the coop during the day with food and water and in a cat carrier at night so no one bothers him. He got past me when I went into the coop to grab him and another rooster climbed on top of him and when I lifted him off Rupter just lay there on his side so I know he's probably in pain😔 he still seemed pretty alert though when I picked him up. Hoping with some rest and baby aspirin he'll be OK? I can't see anything broken or feel anything weird but again I wouldnt know what to look for

OMG THIS IS GOING TO BE EXTREEEEMLY HELPFUL!!!!!! There is a vet though an hour away and always booked about a month out. If I schedule as an emergency it's about $300. He still seems pretty alert. He did escape his cat carrier yesterday morning so he got pounced on again🤦‍♀️ his comb was bloody which I cleaned up and used some poultry wound spray I have in my emergency kit and 1 of his eyes is closed. I used eye wash to clean it out but he still kept it closed. Was able to get his eyelid open I didn't see anything in there. (just an eye) couple other questions: how much aspirin can I give a chicken if its going to take a while for him to heal? Is it something that would build in his system and eventually hurt him? If I don't feel any movement indicating fractures in his leg do I splint the whole leg? (I'm guessing each section individually so he can still move and lay down?)And last what the heck kind of rooster is he? I put an egg under my broody hen for a friend but she has too many roos so I ended up just keeping him. The person she got her chickens from told her they're Ayam Cemani but the ones that are not all black with the genetic deformity. (I read up on it and if I understand it correctly the all black color is caused by a primary gene deformity?) Also I'm not sure if deformity is the right word but it's the only one I can come up with right now lol. Anyway I think he's very handsome and I'd love to know what he really is if not Ayam Cemani. All of her roos have the same color pattern.

I don't know what kind of rooster he is, maybe @Overo Mare or @nuthatched can chime in on the breed. He's handsome.

Read the splinting manual, it will tell you how to splint. If you feel the whole leg needs wrapped, then wrap it, but you must check daily to ensure the leg is not swelling and the wrappings are not too tight. Change the wrappings if they get wet or heavily soiled. You can't just wrap and forget.

Personally, I would not give him aspirin. But if you feel you must then you can give 1/2 of an 81mg Aspirin twice a day for 3 days. Aspirin can't be given long term. Your vet can prescribe Meloxicam if you think he needs something.

Place his cage away from the others inside a secured run or something, if he keeps getting out and mounted and reinjured, he's never going to heal up.

I don't know what kind of rooster he is, maybe @Overo Mare or @nuthatched can chime in on the breed. He's handsome.

Read the splinting manual, it will tell you how to splint. If you feel the whole leg needs wrapped, then wrap it, but you must check daily to ensure the leg is not swelling and the wrappings are not too tight. Change the wrappings if they get wet or heavily soiled. You can't just wrap and forget.

Personally, I would not give him aspirin. But if you feel you must then you can give 1/2 of an 81mg Aspirin twice a day for 3 days. Aspirin can't be given long term. Your vet can prescribe Meloxicam if you think he needs something.

Place his cage away from the others inside a secured run or something, if he keeps getting out and mounted and reinjured, he's never going to heal up.
Looks like a mixed breed. Pics are best for ID.

Good luck with your boy! You're getting help from one of the best!

Looks like a mixed breed. Pics are best for ID.

Good luck with your boy! You're getting help from one of the best!
Here's a pic of last year and today. I gave him a dust bath todaysonce he doesn't seem to be interested in anything since he injured himself so he's a bit dusty in the 2nd pic😄

Attachments

• 20221015_091557.jpg
    20221015_091557.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230212_141845.jpg
    20230212_141845.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom