Sprained Leg?

chickenpredatorkiller

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
South Carolina
Hey guys, I have one leghorn hen who I found sitting in the corner of the coop three days ago. I thought she was laying, but when I went to pick her up she started hopping away on one leg. I Isolated her by putting her in an enclosed shower and gave her food and water. After two days her leg is better (she hobbles now instead of hops) but its not completely healed. Could it be a sprained leg? I'm pretty sure its not a disease because she shows no symptoms and she eats, drinks, and pecks like normal.

It could be a sprain or a broken leg. Have you checked for swelling or redness the whole length of the leg, and especially of the joints? It's good that you are limiting activity so she rest it. You may find putting her into a crate back inside the coop if possible, she may keep her place in the flock so you don't have to re-introduce her. Give her some multi-B complex vitamins or just poultry vitamins in her water. A low dose aspirin or 1/4 adult aspirin twice a day may help with inflammation and pain. Some diseases such as mycoplasma synoviae or viral arthritis (tenosynovitis) can cause limping, walking on hocks, swelling, and pain in the leg joints.

Back
Top Bottom