Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics
It's certainly starting to get busy in here
big_smile.png

@bajabirdbrain I'm daunted looking at that construction job, I'm sure it's going to turn out great!

They're here. All alive so far. Bless Meyer, two day shipping and they included a warmer in with the chicks free of cost.

The sweetest
love.gif
And I love your mix, you're going to have such a colourful basket

26 days for me to wait but whos counting?
hmm.png
I have 88 days to wait
1f62d.png
49 days here...

Gary

Lol, you should add everyone's arrival date to the first thread, we'd see who our chick buddies are
lol.png
jumpy.gif

71 days for me!
lol.png

I went and picked up some supplies at the Feed store. I got a container, some bedding, some food, feeding and watering containers and a heat lamp with a red bulb. The chicks should be arriving next week. Am I forgetting anything?

Not a first timer but restarting after several years. Been following this thread for a couple weeks cause chicks are fun every time.

I went and picked up some supplies at the Feed store. I got a container, some bedding, some food, feeding and watering containers and a heat lamp with a red bulb. The chicks should be arriving next week. Am I forgetting anything?

Looks like you have the basics. Consider some Nutridrench to add to their water. Some may suggest apple cider vinegar (ACV). Both are used to improve health and give your chicks a boost. Or to have on hand if one is sick. I've used both at different times in the past. You can find more about both of those if you search the forums.

The other thing I suggest to anyone is consider using an alternative to the common red heat lamp. I really think heat plates or heat pads are much safer and use half the electricity. I'm currently using a heating pad, MHP style, and brooding outside in an old unheated RV trailer. I'll never use a heat lamp again.
The chicks all settle down and sleep all night too.

Hey y'all! We are so excited to join team never had chicks before! We are in New Orleans so we are aiming for all hens as roosters are not allowed in the city. We got 8 babies from the feed store Monday (2 RIRs, 2 gold wynadottes, 2 ideal 236s, and 2 Easter eggers), and the chicken math has already hit my husband hard. Hahahaha, he's ready to go get some pullets this weekend so that we don't have to wait so long for eggs. Well, really the chicken math started last month when we started the coop. I had finally talked him into a 3'x6' coop with a small run attached, when he decided that doubling the space to a 6'x7' coop would be better. We are putting the finishing touches on the coop this week and got the main wall for the run built today.(attached run will be 8'x16'for now with potential for expansion if they don't get along with 2 puppies we got in December). So, yay chicks!!!!

Currently have an order in at Meyer for 4 Buckeyes and 1 Meyer meal maker and I was thinking of adding 2 Easter eggers for more diverse egg colors and because Buckeyes are notoriously late bloomers when it comes to laying age. Any thoughts?

Chicks have arrived! I ordered 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Easter Eggers, and 1 Cuckoo Maran. I received an extra chick that I'm assuming is another Easter Egger.

I have hem in a box with pine shavings and paper towel over it so that they get their footing. Should I remove the paper? I also have them on medicated starter feed and water infused with Nutri Drench. How long should I have them on the Nutri Drench? When can I start giving them clippings and grit? I have a probiotic powder can I give them that in their water next?

Back
Top Bottom