Spring 2017 first timers post!

Oh my word, my 4wk old Easter egger just flew to the top of their 3ft tall brooder and perched on the 2x4 their babycake treat (that they ignore) is strung from!
1f631.png
I quickly shooed her back in (the garage was wide open!) And placed some strips of extra hardware cloth over the top to discourage her from trying again! I was wondering when that was going to happen as they are all really well feathered out.

Sounds like it's time for them to move in the coop!

:)

Gary

Out of curiousity...did you use the large bags of pine shavings you can get at a feed store? If so, how many did you need for the coop and run?

Yes, we used one large bag of pine shavings. We put some of the shavings in our 3'x4' brooder and the rest in our coop. The shavings are pretty deep in the coop (6'x10') and there are none in our run, run is all grass for now.

Our last babies are here!
The darkest one is definitely an olive egger, and one if the chipmunk ones is a cream legbar, but which of the other two is another olive egger and which is the freebie meal maker?! Lol!

Oh my word, my 4wk old Easter egger just flew to the top of their 3ft tall brooder and perched on the 2x4 their babycake treat (that they ignore) is strung from!
1f631.png
I quickly shooed her back in (the garage was wide open!) And placed some strips of extra hardware cloth over the top to discourage her from trying again! I was wondering when that was going to happen as they are all really well feathered out.

Oh yes they grow so fast. Mine at 3 weeks could clear my 3 foot brooder to. Had to put a screened top on it. Now my friendliest Welsummer jumps on my shoulder when I'm near her.

Here's a link to chick pics from Meyer. Hope it is of some help.

https://meyerhatch.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/2142226-standard-chicks

My Meyer Meal Maker was a New Hampshire Red! I am thrilled since I had only ordered one.

I have had my chicks a week today. Still not wanting to put them out in the coop since it was 36 a few nights ago. Sigh.

That really did help, thanks! Now I see that they also have brown Olive Eggers, so that explains how there are two brown chicks. But my possible cream legbar doesn't match their picture perfectly so I'll need to search some more to see which is which! I think our meal maker is a White Leghorn, never had a Leghorn before so while it's not a unique breed it is very different to what I have!

Oh yes they grow so fast. Mine at 3 weeks could clear my 3 foot brooder to. Had to put a screened top on it. Now my friendliest Welsummer jumps on my shoulder when I'm near her.

Aww that's so cute!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom