Spring Poultry Orders - Ideal Poultry

I ordered from Ideal last year and was very pleased with my chicks. I just ordered another batch for April, and can't wait to meet them.

Here are my girls from 2011:

I got my chicks this past Friday & unfortunately my Ideal experience isn't what I'd hoped for. I've lost 1-2 chicks every single day. I had ordered Exchequer Leghorns, WCB bantam Polish & some bantam size Light Brahmas. I only have like 1-3 of each breed left now. None of those breeds compare (healthwise) to the red male chicks (packing peanuts) that came with my order, those are the most healthiest liveliest chicks I've ever seen in my life. Not sure what's up with the others but I did contact Ideal & their customer service is wonderful. They shipped out replacements for me today. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I haven't been notified either but it would not stop me from ordering more chicks. Not sure if there was a glitch in their system for not sending out blast emails to customers that their orders are available unless it only coded by how people click on the notify button to get in line. Whomever got in line first would get the first dibs and then trickle down to the rest of the people that are waiting. If this was the case, it would be nice if Teri would let us know what's going on and how it affect others that were waiting and didn't get the email notice that the breeds we wanted are now available.

I will be waiting for the response from Ideal soon!

I had inquired to be notified by Ideal for certain chicks a few months ago and they said they would notify me when they were in stock and now it says sold out till May and NO ONE notified me. I was originally told they would have some by Feb 2012. Very disappointed. I probably won't order from them again since I was misled this time. Sent an email but no response.

thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
What breeds were you interested in ordering? What address did you send the e-mail to? What name is on the waiting list. I will be glad to work with you to find out what happened.

Toward the end of December or beginning of January we notified everyone on the wait list with an e-mail stating we would begin booking orders for 2012 on January 23rd. Since that time the waiting list has continued to grow and we are notifying people as items begin to come available. Please let me know the specifics so that I can look into what may have happened with your wait list request.

Teri

So Teri, did you see the posts about EE vs. Ameraucana? You must have read about the concerns that breeders have about hatcheries mislabeling birds that are actually mixed-breed green egg laying chickens. Thoughts/responses? Please. Thank you!
big_smile.png

What breeds were you interested in ordering? What address did you send the e-mail to? What name is on the waiting list. I will be glad to work with you to find out what happened.

Toward the end of December or beginning of January we notified everyone on the wait list with an e-mail stating we would begin booking orders for 2012 on January 23rd. Since that time the waiting list has continued to grow and we are notifying people as items begin to come available. Please let me know the specifics so that I can look into what may have happened with your wait list request.

Teri

Last edited:
Hurrah!

I've placed my order for this summer!
big_smile.png
I am looking forward to receiving them, though I am bracing myself for some heat losses (I'm praying that they don't send too many extra males--I fear they may add to the stress of the chicks I want to keep!).

Here's my order:
4 Saipan Jungle Fowl cockerels
1 Saipan Jungle Fowl pullet
6 Black Minorca pullets

I only plan on keeping four of the best of these, hopefully one Saipan cockerel, one Saipan pullet, and two Minorca pullets. I would like to cross the Saipan cockerel to the Minorca pullets, and then have the Saipan pullet brood the resulting chicks.

I look forward to a good experience with IDEAL this year.

~Gresh~

I am not the one that would respond to the breeding question on Ameraucanas. Feel free to call Mr. Fuchs (Fox) at 800-243-3257 ext 5561. He will be able to discuss this with you.

Thank you.

Teri

Hello to all.

I am brand new to chickens and to BYC, though I have been scanning these forums and articles for many months. I've just joined and other than putting our coop build up "Coop de View" at the coop site, this is my first post. I love the variety of breeds and have spent a lot of time learning about them. My first small flock of 8 has just started laying and my whole family (as well as friends and neighbors) have fallen in love. I've ordered 4 more day olds (from my pet chicken, as were my first group). And I've managed to track down a local Blue Orpington. I'm still trying to find a real Ameracauna. Which brings me to my point.

It's very disconcerting that these hatcheries that call Easter Eggers Ameracaunas feel it's perfectly OK to do so. Obviously it's been the "custom" for a while as many seem to do it. But with the growing movement of backyard chicken owners there are a lot of people out there doing their research. You will stumble across the fact that large hatcheries that call their chickens both Ameracauna or even Americana and Easter Eggers are not selling the real deal. And in fact you can only be assured of getting a real one from a reputable breeder. It irks and feels wrong. Dare I say false advertising? fraud? They must know their birds cannot be shown as Ameracaunas, not to mention bred. Yet I imagine that some customers rely on these easy to order from sites to provide a real Ameracauna and go on to sell them as such never realizing their mistake.

I wrote to Ideal customer service asking that it be directed to Mr. Fuchs (Fox) expressing my concerns. As they take great pains to tout their integrity and longevity in the industry, you might think they'd welcome the chance to fix this mistake.

Maybe if more BYC members wrote in they'd see that we care about the accuracy of their breed descriptions.

Don't get me wrong, I love Easter Eggers and have 2 in my small flock. People will still buy Easter Eggers from them if they call them what they are. As it turned out the Gold Laced Wyandotte I got from my pet chicken is a cross. She lays green eggs and has green legs and her markings are not perfect, and I love her. But I'm not looking to show or breed.

I'm in the Santa Monica Mountains in So Cal. Anyone know a reputable Ameracauna breeder in these parts? My day olds are due to arrive the 21st or 22nd. of Feb. and I'm hoping to time my Blue Orp for then too. It would complete my flock to find a true blue egg laying baby to join them.

Thanks for all your time sharing your thoughts and experience it really is invaluable to a novice like me.

Back
Top Bottom