"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Mar 3, 2016.

1. cree57i

cree57i Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    I set 17 Golden Cuckoo Marans this morning, (3/31), along with 3 isabelle leghorns and 3 Silverudds Blue in one incubator. I already have 24 assorted SB, SFH and isabelle leghorns in another incubator due to hatch in 7 days whenever that is.

Also a cuckoo marans has been sitting for 3 or 4 days on at least 12 eggs. I put SB, isabelle leghorn and blue copper marans under her, but no telling what else she has commandeered.

Today, an australorp decided she is broody. She has a BYM under her and as soon as I can catch her off the nest she will have some SFH's under there too. IDK how many eggs she has.

The broody disease has begun!

All said, I have a minimum of 60 eggs set at this moment, but knowing my broody hens it is a lot more than that!
  2. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    They'll be one week old tomorrow.

:weee for the bator fairy
  3. mamahmendez

mamahmendez Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    SW Austin, TX
    So, 2 of my chicks popped out EXACTLY on time. They were set 21 days ago at 7pm and 2 popped out between 6:50 and 7:20pm.
    But, I have no idea if the rest of this is going normal. I don't know if I am impatient, uneducated, worried or if something is off. Here are my stats and info I can provide. Any help or advise that is productive is welcome and appreciated.

2 hatched - they look kinda dinosaur-ish, but are moving around and active.
    9 pipped - some right on air cell line some below
    3 - have broken piece of shell off but not gone through the white membrane part, searched and found no additional info so I don't know if this is concerning
    3 nothing at this point to report, but these were questionable at lockdown

Set at 7pm 3 Thrusdays ago; so this is either start of day 22 or start of day 21... how do chickens count again?!
    Current Temp: 99.5
    Current Humidity: 62%, has been from 57% to 65% for the past 24 hours.
  4. butterfliesdoku

butterfliesdoku Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Air cell size increases so much during lockdown that I wouldn't worry about pipping below that line and I'm sure the pieces of shell falling are normal :)
  5. LocalYokel

LocalYokel Overrun With Chickens

Here's a coupla mo.
    :hugs :hugs
  6. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia

Putting half dozen Svart Hona eggs in a Brinsea Mini Advanced (casual hatcher so only own a small capacity incubator) tomorrow (4/1) - setting at room temp currently trying/hoping to mend air cells and such courtesy of the USPS.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Honora

Honora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Just did my Day 14 candle. 7/8 eggs are looking good, lots of veining & saw a few moving around. One was darker & a bit harder to see. The air cell seemed small on that one too. I will have to look at it more closely on Day 18.

So the remaining eggs are 6 black/lavender cuckoo Orpington sex links (males will be cuckoo, females solid black or lavender), and 2 chocolate cuckoo Orps. Really looking forward to chickies hatching next week!
  8. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    and me!!! NN, runner duck eggs, lone turkey egg (only 1 out of 3 that didn't quit), CCL and a mixed dozen of a few different breeds (hopefully, if the seller meets me tomorrow with my CCL and other eggs)
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  9. jrc85

jrc85 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2014
    I'm going to say 4 under her they are mallard pecken mix

Here is a pic of the last hatch off them

I will try to get a better pic in a few days
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  10. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Update! Day 14 candle results!

I'm pleased to say all 15 Tolbunt polish are moving and looking on track :yiipchick
    One more week to wait :pop
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by