"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Feather duster

Feather duster Out Of The Brooder

Opened up the incubator for the first time this morning to candle the eggs and trace the air cells. So far out of 30 eggs I had two that were infertile and two that had died. Twenty-six still in the game. The air cells are right on the mark for 7 days,and not one funky or detached cell. That's something for shipped eggs,I think shipping in those foam blocks is the way to go. Have not had to make a temperature adjustment since I set . Power comes on at 99.5 and shuts off at 100. Using a STC- 1000 temp controller, and put my faith in a Brinsea spot check thermometer to monitor. I thing the eight pint mason jars of wet sand really help to keep the temps stabilized. I do run it a week before I set to get all the kinks out of it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  2. Laurel Meadows

Laurel Meadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Ohio

Sounds like a nice hatch for you!
    :fl for the 2 with eye and navel issues. I have one with an open navel myself this morning!

3. sasafras4u2

sasafras4u2 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Texas
    My Coop

I have 3 of EACH EE,Rees cream legbar, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, super blue egg layer. All from my pet chicken. Thinking about adding 6 frizzled seramas. Not sure as all my others are standard size. Anyone know if I can add bantams to an existing flock?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  4. Honora

Honora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    My daughter wants to know which is which. She says they are so cute she doesn't want to leave them. (She is 4). :)

5. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Bacon is the Lavender/Silver one and Eggs is the black.

6. Laurel Meadows

Laurel Meadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Ohio

Great choices! Those should be some beautiful eggs!
    I think you may get some different opinions on mixing bantams with standards. Our bantams are 12 weeks and younger so they are still separated from the adults but we are building a separate coop and run for the bantams. No way I would put those tiny things in with my roosters. They are gentlemen but they are massive in size.

7. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    [​IMG]

@LocalYokel

8. mamahmendez

mamahmendez Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    SW Austin, TX
    A bakers dozen! I have 13 chicks from the 17 fertile eggs!!!
    3 of the 5 Farmers Market hatched - set 18... interesting!
    10 of 12 Microfarm Hatched - set 12

These are my first hatch! I am very pleased with how it went. The eye has opened with no issues it seems. The naval seems to be drying and healing.
    Here are some of them. It is a Barred Rock Rooster with an Easter Egger, Welsummer, or Australorp hen. You can tell the Easter Eggers (not in these photos) as they look like black and white chipmunks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. mamahmendez

mamahmendez Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    SW Austin, TX
    Welcome! Can't wait to read about your flock, incubating and adventure. I am in the Austin area. Best of luck. I don't have bantams but my Mom and Grandma always kept their bantams separate from their full size ladies and roosters. I don't know if this is norm or not.

10. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN
    The Mad Hatcher of Georgia has Texas A&M's that lay blue. He sells on Ebay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by