"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Mar 3, 2016.

1. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    I have silkies and polish and others set!

2. weegarden

weegarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    Got it! Thank you!
    [​IMG]I'm trying to keep myself occupied. The peeps are getting louder, and one is unzipping more and more. Almost there for the first one!

3. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Understandably so! [​IMG]

4. Balloonjuice

Balloonjuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    Yes, lockdown on 4/11. I didn't put my eggs in the 'bator until about 3:30 in the afternoon, so I counted that as "Day 22." [​IMG] So I started my countdown (day 21) on the first FULL day. And of course I had brought the 4250 up to temp for about a day before that. This is my first try, but I am going with dry incubation this time around. I'm trying to keep the RH in the 30s. Of course I'll kick it up to 65% at lockdown.

It's a lot of fun doing this with others on the forum. Thanks for the good encouragement.

5. Balloonjuice

Balloonjuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    I know what you mean by having first-graders follow along. My six year old grandson is helping out. This is a "science project" for him and he's learning about measurements (temperature and RH), keeping logbooks, and how to set up x-y axis tables. When he finishes he hopes his daddy will put his numbers in an XL spreadsheet, but I think it will look mostly like a straight line. The Farm Innovations 'bator has been very good about keeping a constant temp. The only thing my candler was able to show was a dark mass on day seven. So instead of a candler, I'm going to use a LumaMax tac flashlight and I think he'll be able to see the chick's outline a little better (these are brown shell eggs).

6. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    I am hatching for myself as well as a couple of friends and they keep texting me asking how the eggs are lol, they may be worse than i am

7. weegarden

Jul 17, 2014
    How fun! I bought an LED Candler on amazon and it is excellent! The kids can see so much! But, I have lighter colored eggs. My at home hatch is actually hatching out today, but I have some at school that will hatch on the 11th with them! What a great experience for him!

8. weegarden

Jul 17, 2014
    Oh boy! That would make it even more difficult to wait! I need to go check again! I hear more peeping! LOL!

9. Harborotter

Harborotter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2014
    Washington State
    First baby of the day.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    I guess I'm late so good afternoon! Please post pics of the meets soon!

Very nice find!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by