"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

I would try to stay at about 35% to start, then adjust based on air cell size. You really shouldn't have to add water every few hours. Water should only needed to be added every few days or so. Can you post any pictures of the set up and maybe we can figure out what is wrong.
I took out the sponge and took off the vent caps to let it come down its at 39% now and it's been a good few minutes.

Vent caps really shouldn't be used to control humidity, but what day are you on?
Day 4. I assumed I need to let the moisture escape for the levels to drop a bit. Do i put them back in its at 37%. Like I said I new to this and asking for help

Last edited:
Quote: No problem, we'll hopefully get this working ok. Is this a still air or is there a fan in the incubator. Also what are you using for the hygrometer, the one that came with it or something else too?

Some people run the entire incubation without the vent caps, studies have shown that early oxygen deprivation early in incubation and increased oxygen later is beneficial. I would put one vent cap in and see if we can get the humidity to stabilize.

Areas of MOST IMPORTANCE in Hatching EGGS

Ventilation (Oxygen), Temperature, Humidity, Egg Turning/Positioning

VENTILATION (OXYGEN)
Ventilation is VERY important during the incubation process.
While the embryo is developing, oxygen enters the egg through the shell and carbon dioxide escapes. Oxygen requirements will increases during development and during hatching. Unobstructed ventilation holes, both above and below the eggs, are essential for proper air exchange. REMOVE RED VENT PLUGS, TOO MANY PEOPLE FORGET TO REMOVE THEM AT DAY 10! NOTE: When Lockdown occurs, vent openings are frequently restricted in an attempt to boost incubator humidity. Instead of helping the chick hatch, the chick is suffocated from lack of oxygen. Never decrease ventilation openings at hatching in an attempt to increase humidity. Increase humidity by other methods. If any vent adjustments are made, they should be opened more. Try adding a dampened sponge or towel to help boost humidity during lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom