"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Thanks to everyone for helping with info! Im praying the power doesnt go out. Thunderstorm and hail
fl.gif
You're welcome!

Somewhere there is info on what to do if your power goes out. I'll post it if I can locate it.

Great! I'm still puzzled why you would need to add water so often.

Probably because i had a half of a sponge only slight damp and was only adding a half a teaspoon of water to get it back up and it was drying out quickly. I was afraid that putting water in the channel would make levels too high which meant having to take out the eggs to dump the tray out. :lau

Quote:

WHAT YOU CAN DO to save overheated or cold eggs!
What Temperatures Kill In An Incubator?

WHAT If the Power Goes Off?
BE PREPARED & HAVE A PLAN!

Hatching Eggs 101 - BackYard Chickens Community

If the electric goes off, you have to do whatever you have to do to keep them warm, if you have to take them to someone that has electric or take them to the car to run them off the car battery. just be careful dont jiggle them too much, the older they are the more tolerant they will be.

ALWAYS have a plan buy an electric power loss alarm!
It will waken you at night, simply plug it into an outlet and it sounds when you loose it! and its cheap! Worst case cover the bator with blankets!!!

$6.00

s-l225.jpg

CLICK HERE FOR EBAY SALES

This can be done by placing a large cardboard box or blankets over the top of small incubators for additional insulation. To warm the eggs, place candles in jars, light them and place the jars under the box that covers the incubator. Be careful not to put any flammable material closer than a foot from the top of the candles. The heat from the candles can easily keep the eggs above 90°F until the power returns.​

Embryos have survived at temperatures below 90°F for up to 18 hours. You should continue to incubate the eggs after the outage; then candle them 4 to 6 days later to check for further development or signs of life. If, after 6 days, you do not see life or development in any of the eggs, then terminate incubation. Most of the time, a power outage will delay hatching by a few days and decrease the hatchability to 40-50 percent.

A full incubator of eggs
always helps maintain a steady temperature
even if it’s not good for your chicken math!

18133994-Illustration-of-a-sack-of-white-rice-on-a-white-background-Stock-Vector.jpg

dry rice heated on wood/or gas stove

handwarmers.jpg
hot-water-bottle.jpeg

HOT HANDS HOT WATER BOTTLES

From ronott1
LL

The leads go to the incubator.
The Genesis 1588 runs on 12V DC

HEAT SINKS/ Stones/Pebbles

ADD THEM TO STYROFOAM INCUBATORS
WHEN YOU SET YOUR EGGS!

IMG_2770.jpg

Rocks/ glass gems are in troughs under the wire.
I think perhaps more stones are in order for heat sinks
a nice full layer on the bottom and just using cups for added humidity on top of wire until lockdown would probably hold amazingly well

FLAT LARGE ROCKS
LL

Bottles of water
LL

Wrapping a bator for steadier temps

post #25454
KEEPING MOLD and BACTERIAL from growing in water WELLS during incubation post #1644

USING a aquarium pump to humidify incubator Begin post #2028 & Flow control valve post #2054
Trick to raising humidity in egg trays by adding small containers to egg slot! post #42512

FOR MORE TIPS ON INCUBATION
FROM THE
Incubation with Friends THREAD
Please click below.....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-w-friends-helpful-notes-links-informational-post-links

Emergency Preparations: It's COLD Outside!http://www.greenandhealthy.info/emergencyheat.html

Thanks again! I have a generator to run the house but i dont know if i can take it out of the shed alone. Maybe we can chain it where it goes for a situations like this. Thanks AGAIN for the helpful post info! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom