"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Mar 3, 2016.

1. hereorthere

hereorthere Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Pacific NW
    Thanks again for the warm welcome Sally! My fingers were twitching so bad to set eggs.....especially since spring has come so early out here.

So question- if using distilled water for humidity purposes, does one need to throw in copper pennies too? Just opened up a new bottle the other day to partially fill up the water well, but wondering about the bacterial content in that jug and how quickly it grows/ or allows water bacteria to take over. This is my 1st attempt at correcting my mistakes from last year, so I've read Sally's Hatching 101 guide a gazillion times- hoping to be more successful this time around. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Coreenelane

Coreenelane Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    I would think that distilled water when bought would be safe without boiling, otherwise just boil a quart and put in a clean steril bottle.

3. Honora

Honora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks to whoever was asking about the vent plugs cause I had mine out but now I will put them back in. I am in California so humidity is quite low here.

Just set the eggs last night, hope I get at least half to hatch! Just in case any of my bantam eggs develop, bantams hatch earlier, right? Mine would be half bantam Orp & half lf Orp.

4. hereorthere

hereorthere Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Pacific NW
    Yes, makes sense.

So did anyone one ever disprove the myth of pointy eggs hatched out as roos? Was it this thread or Sally's old one of Hatching with Friends? Seriously can't keep up sometimes with her threads......she's like a queen bee! A buzzing w/ activity! [​IMG]

Have a Wellie who's layed some 64-68gm eggs- wowza! And they're not double yolkers either! But they're all so pointy!! Well there's 3 in there, so I have a 50/50 chance. Will see in 20 more days then.

5. Susieq2015

Susieq2015 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Upstate New York

I wonder about this too. My first hatch from my free range flock in January yielded 11 roos & 4 pullets. Then as I was reading more I started selecting more rounded eggs for hatching, these are too young to be sure yet but I'm already thinking I see more girls. Time will tell.

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    This is why I couldnt process these dang cornish bantams........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Cause they look like pretty dinosaurs?

10. lindalouly

lindalouly Grd Ctrl 2 Major Tom

I'm really behind on the thread... Sorry guys. I have been struggling really badly with headaches lately and it's been tough to be online. I think I killed all my eggs for Easter Hal. Coolerbator is coming along. Got the glass on and holes drilled. Waiting on a fan to come in the mail and time that I can concentrate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by