"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Mar 3, 2016.

1. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop

:oops:
    Still mine!

2. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I would like to join this as well. I plan on putting my new bator to use this year.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Awesome Marie!!!!! glad to have you over! idea on what your gonna set yet? silkies? I am not sure!

How do you like the area in TN you live?

4. jrc85

jrc85 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2014
    Warrior,Alabama
    I guess I need to fire up the incubator and give it a test run since my last run gave me 2 ducklings. Hopefully it will do better since the temp shouldn't drop to 11 in the house

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Remember, as we receive more prize donations we will add more prizes to the contests!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  7. mamahmendez

mamahmendez Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    SW Austin, TX
    I am way behind...

WELCOME to all the folks that joined in the last 10 pages. I saw a few were new to incubating. I am too. Congrats!!! And I can't wait to read about your progress!

On a personal flock note, today was bad. Our neighbors dog broke into our run and killed 4 of our chicks today. Of course it only took 30 seconds and both myself and my kids were there to watch. This is our families first lose. I know they are chickens (as many say) but my eyes still had tears in them and my heart still broke. And today, after 2 particularly cruel comments, I made a decision that even if my farm animals are a future casseroles for our family or snack for a predetor, it will be loved while with me. This means that I may be more upset when thier life is over and that people will make fun of me, but, my animals will also, hopefully, only have 1 bad day in thier lives.

I am sure that everyone here has a similar story to mine and mine is not special. We learned a lot about chickens today. And locking options. I hope tomorrow's lesson is a simpler one, like "Chickens like lettuce".

8. shahtir101

shahtir101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2015
    I am sorry! I feel the same way when the birds pass away. I know each of them and they are friendly (for the most part). Some people just think of them as birds, and that's perfectly fine. But, they also have to consider how other people feel. I hope the next days are better.

9. Mirajane

Mirajane Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2015
    California
    I'll join in to see what I can hatch!

10. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Good night everyone! [​IMG]

Good Night Sally! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by