"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] so sorry awwwww

Mira!!! YAYAYYA welcome over!!

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Sweet dreams Mike [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. hereorthere

hereorthere Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Pacific NW
    I've got the Brinsea - so there's no more space in the tray holding all the eggs. For now, I've got one of the bottom wells half-filled w/ distilled water- humidity is fluctuating between 31-35% since yesterday. I'm now thinking there's too much water in there....as the darker BCMs shells need more of a dry hatch - I know that from experience. Will check at Day 3 or 7.

4. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I just have 1 pair of paint silkies left. I sold the rest. I coldn't take care of them the way they required so I sent them to better homes. They're high maintenance. I have a small flock of maran mixes some english orps and one that I have no idea what it is. Looks like an RIR but it's probably a mutt. I thought it was a roo till it's mate died and I was still getting eggs. Apparently they where both hens. One has spurs and crows. I'll be hatching english orps and paint silkies. I want to add a few better quality paint hens to my small pen and more english orp hens to that pen. Oh I do have some black giant pullets and buff orp pullets that just got their feathers. I won't keep them all. I'll sell probably half when they're started.

It's just turning spring here. Flowers all haven't bloomed yet but it is very beautiful here when they do. We're having a cold spell right now but i'm hoping it's the last one.

5. heatherledet

heatherledet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2016
    Oh no! So sorry! When we got out first chicken. He was was like my puppy. He followed me everywhere and would fly into my lap every chance he got. Our own dog(who we no longer have) was playing fetch with my husband and saw the chicken running and within a spilt second had killed him! He was almost in a safe zone too.. :( I didnt think id like having chickens, boy was I wrong . Now we have a Pecky 2 and 30 others!

6. brightpennies

brightpennies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2015
    @mamahmendez, I'm sorry for your loss. I love my featherkids, even if I end up eating them. I want them to be safe and happy while they're around.

In hatching news: I candled my ducks eggs early on and I was convinced that the yolks were detached on most of them. I candled again last night (day 5) and 13 of 15 are looking great :D The other two look like a blood ring and a quitter but I'm keeping both until I can be sure.

These are the first eggs I've ever hatched from my birds! My family is unimpressed but I was up all night feeling giddy.

7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

8. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    My Coop
    Mornin sunshine! :hugs

9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    morning sweets, [​IMG] hope you had a wonderful nights sleep!!

ps....heading to the incu thread to catch up now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by