"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

To my surprise 4-8-16. Look who I found in the bottom of my Dickie bator this morning. When the turkeys hatched outside 4-5 I found 6 hen eggs (1/2 partrige brahma 1/2 Neckneck) I thought what the heck I'll try to hatch them....
I wonder what with the other 5 eggs. I am going to candle tonight to see if they are alive. I figure the hen could only lay 1 egg a day and turkey would set on them right away. Are they all going to hatch a day apart?
The same hen is still laying in the same place.... Turkey is in a pen until she gets over that setting mode...
It is so ugly it's cute

No No! Not ugly...Cute ~ Cute!
wee.gif

OMG.

My emu eggs are doing something. I think I have an internal pip, maybe two. I opened the bator and one egg had rolled to the wall, when I picked it up it felt different. The whole egg feels different, more hallow, lighter, less dense, it is so interesting. Two of the eggs feel like that that and I can hear tapping in one!!

The biggest egg 700g and the smallest eggs 593g are still the same but still both have movement.

I am surprised things are happening, I still thought I had another week!

Can't wait!!
ya.gif

Tonight I set 18 Icelandics and 48 FCBM's in two Janoel incubators. And because I couldn't leave well enough alone, I set 8 duck eggs under a broody chicken!
big_smile.png

I'm going to just put them in the Octagon. I have the humidity detector on there, and it is just not worth taking the chance. My students would be so disappointed. They are so excited! The humidity is still going up on the advanced, so it is just not worth the risk. I have a new hygrometer to use with the advance, and I need to make sure it is calibrated correctly. My octagon has been spot on, and I have the humidity pump, so no worries in there. :)

Been reading along, catching up, this is what I would do since you have it.

Well 39 chicks hatched. Two died sadly. And the rest sold today. I didn't put pics because I set them before April. So it didn't count for the April hatch along. But cleaned the bator and going to set another full egg turner full. Just have to wait for temps and humidity to get right .

You have your own eggs...? Lucky! I may have some fertile eggs coming up. Caught my young rooster after my marans mix. He's a marans mix..an OE, so I think I would possibly get some nice OE babies from her. The collar is working on this boy! Watching him, as he is still growing! Making sure he is eating and drinking. He is doing well. First time a collar has worked like this. He doesn't like how it feels when he crows, so he doesn't crow much at all. I may be able to keep a rooster!

Back
Top Bottom