"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Yes that's a pip.
wee.gif

The little one above this is a hona/isbar cross. He presents all hona but is not!

So, this is some of the pics of the cross chicks that I hatched this weekend. I sold over 30+ of them and these guys are still left. It was my first offering of my chicks to the public this way. Lots of wonderful families came out to pick out their new members.

I did learn a lot from this experience. I was setting my due date on Friday so I would have Sunday to offer them for sale. It wasn't enough time and I jeopardized my hatch by opening the bator. In turn, I had stuck chicks that was all my doing. Also, I need more floor space for them to run around after hatch as it was clearly too crowded in the bator.

I set 127 eggs. Pulled the clears at day 10. I had 113 go to lockdown & only 14 eggs left un- hatched/unfinished.

Incubator is full again- I have way too much room in there! If anyone is in CNY and would like to buy any of these chicks above $5 each!

Happy hatching all!

Started incubating 20 eggs on March 17th hatched the first on the 7th the second the 8th and third the 9th. The third had the zip three quarters of the way around and somehow had flipped around to the other end. I believe number two gave it a really hard kick with its sharp toes. Anyway had to remove it quickly and do a "c-section" I clipped the membrane near its mouth only to find a second membrane. Worried all day at work if it made it out of the shell and membrane. It did but it was a pitiful looking chick. and it died thirty minutes after I got home. Made sure humidity was still up in case the others were still able to hatch. I took the eggs out this morning.
Only three weren't full size chicks. I had 14 full size chicks in shell. Three had pips in the outer shell and all had internal pips and none were shrink-wrapped. The pips had been knocked to the bottom. They just never hatched.
This was my third attempt at hatching. And first actually getting a living chick.
But oh how it hurts losing the 15 that died. Sorry crying over dead babies.

Last edited:
I currently have eggs on days 12, 11, 10 and 2.
Day 12 update: EEs from EE rooster, Dorking hen, EE hen and Ameracauna hen. Removed two Dorking quitters and 1 clear Ameracauna.
Day 11 update: Shipped Gamefowl eggs 5/8 going strong.
Day 10 update: Local CCL eggs and Bielefelders. CCLs doing great, no clears that I can see nor quitters. I did get lots of clear Bielefelder eggs but I'll be happy if the few hatch.
Day 2: too early to report any development but I set 11 shipped Modern Game Bantams.

Back
Top Bottom