1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sprouting grains for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by swimmom, Jan 18, 2010.

1. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    Has anyone sprouted grains for their chickens? Which grains are best to use? What's the best way to do it? Thanks.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    This has been discussed before, recently but I wouldn't know the threads off hand. maybe do a search?

3. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I bought a 50 lb bag of wheat untreated of course and I have been sprouting for the birds so far this winter.I went to second hand store and found some party serving trays and I use them to sprout on.I soak the seed over night and then spread them out on the trays and leave on a shelving unit I have in my spare bathroom.I add 1 tsp of Peroxide to a spray bottle of water and mist the seeds to keep them moist.It takes about 3 days and the sprouts are ready.I tried to do oats but they take too long to sprout.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I believe the thread was called "sprouting mix" or something along those lines.

5. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Yep we feed sprouts every day.
    2 parts oats
    2 parts Black Oil Sunflower Seed
    1 part Hard Red Winter Wheat
    1/4 part clover (Sprouted separate cause it is slower than the above mix.)

Mix oats, wheat, and BOSS together dry. Soak in water over night. Rinse well, spread on seed flats cover, mist and stir daily. If you want rinse daily. I do the opposite of adding peroxide to the spray bottle. I add some beneficial bacteria/ compost tea to mist with. (Add good bugs to overcome the bad bugs, instead of trying to kill all bugs.)

Either way smell the sprouts often, if foul smelling rinse, if foul smelling again, toss out. Sometimes I add a little apple cider vinegar to the mix to suppress mold/ balance PH.

Sprouts get fed daily, along with a mash. Girls always have organic feed, oyster shells and grit available free choice.

It is my understanding available protein increases with sprouted grains, along with complex amino acids and all kinds of other good things. (I let my sprouts green up under lights.)

ON

1 person likes this.
  6. California Girls

California Girls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Southern California
    I have never posted a reply before, I always have questions; but I am compelled to answer, because I just made sprouts this week for the girls and they gobbled them up! I made Mung Beans. I love'em in my salads too. But, the girls eat it up so fast! Yes, it is worth it, I'm going to make more for them.
    Especially since I got my first egg today![​IMG]

7. nature nut

nature nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I saw a big bag of mixed seeds for sprouting at the health food store. It had mustard, rkale, alfalfa, and stuff like that in it and they had a little three tier sprouting tray for about $10. I think I'll try it out next time I go there. I have fed them store bought alfalfa sprouts and they loved it.

California girls I hope you gave them double sprouts yesterday for leaving you your first precious present [​IMG]

8. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    I have also wanted to do this but haven't. I tried a few this summer, red wheat, mung beans and something else. Maybe I'll try my health food store on Friday. It'll be good for my chickies and me!

9. spud1035

spud1035 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    nw ohio
    I soak a mix of oats and bird feed w/o corn just like I would for my own consumption. Soak for 8 to 12 hrs and rinse 3x a day for 3 days. I use a large half gallon plastic containor that potato salad came in and cover the end with a window screen. This year I plan on growing more BOSS and corn and cowpeas which I'll sprout for em next winter.

10. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I sprout lentils all the time, just because I can get them cheap and it's the only thing I've ever tried [​IMG]

I use a tea towel and a colander, super easy for rinsing and draining. Takes about 3 days to complete the process, but it's super easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by